Pre-Winter Algae - what to do?

Chappy

May 28, 2008
Central Texas
Hello - I haven't been here in a while, but here in Austin, TX, it's been a very warm Fall and start to the Winter. Obviously we're not using the pool right now, and since I've been neglecting it a bit because of the down time, I've got a pretty good little algae bloom going. I have a 0 FC level and a PH of 7.8 - why do I feel like a kid who's done something wrong and knows it :)

My question is, should I treat it (very familiar with the BBB method which brought my pool back to life this summer thanks to this board), or just let it be, knowing that we have a major cold front coming in tonight and that the low temps will be in the 30's and 40's for the next week and beyond. Will the cold temps take care of the algae on it's own or should I do a shock treatment this weekend to help clear it up so I'm not looking at a green swamp all winter?

As always, much appreciated!
Chappy

If you bring the pH down now to the low 7's, the chlorine is somewhat more effective but I wouldn't see that as critical.

If, in the past, it has shown a tendency to rise on it's own (many pools do), then I would bring it down. If it tends to be stable or go lower on it's own you could simply leave it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.