Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping a dirty deck clean?

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping a dirty deck clean?

Hi all. Any help for a newbie would be much appreciated. We bought a house in NY last year and moved in mid July. With lots of help from TFP I managed to keep the pool operational and swimmable (first time I have had a pool). This year I aspire to have the pool also be nice and enjoyable – but I am realizing I have more problems with the pool surround than the actual pool. The area around the pool is heavily planted, and the deck area gets lots of rain, which catches dirt, leaves etc and leads to mold, algae, etc. I have done some light power-washing, but that is taking forever, and also seems to strip some of the “paint” off the deck. I have attached photos. You can see where I power-washed, and where I stopped. I also have a photo that shows some of the stripped area. The surface is old, and there are chipped / stripped areas even where I have not power-washed. There is another area where I can feel the surface has delaminated (sort of a one square yard bubble) from whatever is underneath – it sort of squishes when you step there.

Can anyone tell what the surface type is from the photos? Is there a good way to clean it and / or prevent the mold / algae from forming?

Thanks for any feedback or advice.

Attachment 37917

Attachment 37918
    36k gallon in-ground gunite / Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 333 / Century 1HP Motor B228SE / Pentair Triton II sand filter / Polaris 280 sweeper

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping a dirty deck clean?

My deck gets uber-amounts of debris, but I don't get algae on it...I also don't have your grooves.

In your case, daily sweeping with a deck broom dipped in a bucket of your pool water should prevent algae growth provided your FC is at proper levels Alternately, you could just add a cup of chlorine to a bucket of regular water for a stronger solution.

My guess on your surface is epoxy paint like what one would use on a garage floor. Patch paint with that.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

We purchased one of these about 3 months ago and love it. Helps especially when cleaning up bird droppings,bugs etc. Hope this helps.

http://www.frontgate.com/aluminum-wa...awn-care/18961
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

Great find Rodog!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the posts - I'm going to try the deck broom dipped in chlorine/water mix this weekend. Hope that works!!
    36k gallon in-ground gunite / Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 333 / Century 1HP Motor B228SE / Pentair Triton II sand filter / Polaris 280 sweeper