Getting Ready for a good old fashioned SLAM

Just ordered more R-0870 and R-0871. Also got tired of sloshing out some of my sample when swirling so I broke down and ordered the SpeedStir. I'll let you know how I like it. Pool looked great this morning. Didn't do a FC test last night. Just too tired. But this morning I was still above SLAM level at 12.5. It's getting there!

OK TFP. I passed my OCLT last night. FC at 10:30pm was 15. At 6:15AM this morning 14.5! FC=0. Pool looks really clear and I can read the date on a dime sitting on the bottom (of course it's only 4' deep, but still)! So I'm going to keep the FC up one more day and do the test again tonight to be sure.
My question is now that my SLAM is coming to an end, how do I handle turning the SWG back on and what level do I need to keep the FC at while I build my CYA to recomended levels (between 70 and 80) for SWG pools? Do I add the CYA to get to my goal and just assume it's there? Figure FC at my goal for CYA of 70-80?

- - - Updated - - -

OK TFP. I passed my OCLT last night. FC at 10:30pm was 15. At 6:15AM this morning 14.5! FC=0. Pool looks really clear and I can read the date on a dime sitting on the bottom (of course it's only 4' deep, but still)! So I'm going to keep the FC up one more day and do the test again tonight to be sure.
My question is now that my SLAM is coming to an end, how do I handle turning the SWG back on and what level do I need to keep the FC at while I build my CYA to recomended levels (between 70 and 80) for SWG pools? Do I add the CYA to get to my goal and just assume it's there? Figure FC at my goal for CYA of 70-80?

Congrats! Turn on SWG as soon as you pass the OCLT and go ahead and target FC for what you plan when CYA is at normal level.

Thanks pooldv. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. I passed the OCLT for a second night in a row. The water is crystal clear and sparkling! Didn't think this would have taken so long. But not being at home during the day drug it out I'm sure. Thanks for all the help Y'all!

Can't get enough of it Kim. I find myself outside all the time staring at the pool. I talk about water chemistry so much my honey thinks I'm crazy.
Now to that CYA up to target levels and balance the ph. Love this site!

I'm the same way! I love looking at my sparkly pool and yes my hubby thinks I'm crazy! Buttttt he loves the look of the pool and the fact that he doesn't have to mess with it.

It may take a while to get your SWG dialed in just right. I would suggest starting with 50% output for 8 hours a day. I personally split mine up and have it on for a while, then off for awhile so that it doesn't sit for 18 hours with no chlorine being generated. This setting and % is probably too much, however you don't want your FC to get too low so better to shoot high.

I run my filter for 6 hours day at 50%. When it is less hot, it does fine on 30% output for 5 hours. I keep bleach on hand for emergencies. For example, a dead bunny had been sitting in my skimmer for a few days and my FC was a 1 when I returned from out of town. I added a gallon of bleach because I knew the SWG wouldn't chlorinate that quickly. You will learn the personality of your pool.

I love having the SWG. I went out of town this past week for work and left instructions to the fam to check skimmers daily and add 2c MA 3 days after I left. I knew I had been adding about 3 cups every 3 days, but didn't want to get ph 2 low and knew they wouldn't test it. Came home and FC was 5.4 and ph 7.4 so I was spot on with what my pool needed. It was a great feeling! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as an update. I added CYA to get it up to to 70 and adjusted my SWG to run about 6 hours a day. FC stays around 5ppm and the water is clear and clean. I'm going to run a full set of tests this evenning, but so far so good. The weather finally broke yesterday. After 12 consecutive days of temps in the upper 90's/lower 100's (which was third longest streak in Charlotte BTW), the humidity was noticeably lower and temps were in the low 80's. Water temp actually felt cool and refreshing. It was nice day to float around the pool and enjoy some delicious adult beverages.
Thanks TFP! Could not have done it without your help.
:lovetfp::rockon:

So as an update. I added CYA to get it up to to 70 and adjusted my SWG to run about 6 hours a day. FC stays around 5ppm and the water is clear and clean. I'm going to run a full set of tests this evenning, but so far so good. The weather finally broke yesterday. After 12 consecutive days of temps in the upper 90's/lower 100's (which was third longest streak in Charlotte BTW), the humidity was noticeably lower and temps were in the low 80's. Water temp actually felt cool and refreshing. It was nice day to float around the pool and enjoy some delicious adult beverages.
Thanks TFP! Could not have done it without your help.
:lovetfp::rockon:

That is awesome, so happy it worked for you :)

Awesome news! Be sure to check FC at different times of day and when SWG isn't on too. Especially with weather changes and hot temps. You'll do great! And be so thankful for all the headache because you learned so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.