Hayward Skimmer in Intex Ultra Frame AGP

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
I know that this has been covered here before, that's how I learned how to do it ;) , but I wanted to share my through-wall skimmer install on my Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame AGP.

It was really as easy as it looks, if you are at all considering it, just do it. Take your time, double check everything. I'll admit it, I was very hesitant to take a razor blade to my pool liner!!

I used the Hayward SP1091LX skimmer as many here have had previous success with them.

I drained the pool to about 1" below the skimmer location. I know that some have installed without draining, but I didn't want to take any chances, and the lawn needed some water anyway.

I carefully split the butterfly gasket, then trimmed the leftover material from the split with a sharp razor. This needs to be done carefully.

IMG_6240.jpg

Next I placed the inside flange in its location, leveled it as best I could, and duct taped it in place. I took my Philips screwdriver (and a deep breath) and did this to my new pool:

IMG_0386.jpg

Be sure to support the liner with your fingers as you slowly push the screwdriver through the liner, turning it slowly as you push. I started with the top center hole, then the bottom center hole, then evenly around the outside putting a screw in each hole as I made them to keep the flange in place.

IMG_0388.jpg

I removed all the screws, then placed the inside gasket against the flange, and passed a screw thru the top center hole to keep the gasket in place. I then screwed the flange/gasket to the liner, putting the screw about 3/4 of the way thru leaving the gasket loose to line up the holes. I went around the flange installing all the screws about a 1/4 of the way thru, being careful to pass thru all the holes in the gasket.

I then mounted the outside gasket over the screws sticking out, then carefully mounted the skimmer starting with the top center screw, then the bottom left & right screws, then the remaining screws evenly across. I went around the screws three or four times, tightening a little at a time evenly. When you finally tighten it down completely be careful you do not distort the flange and gasket. I tightened until I saw the gasket squish out very slightly then backed off until the squish went away. Sorry I didn't get any pics of these steps, I was a one man operation LOL!

Here it is, right after I cut out the liner. You can see in this picture that even though I was very careful to level off the flange, somehow while I punched though the liner I slightly canted the frame. The skimmer seems to work just fine however.

I cut the liner last, after all the plumbing to the skimmer was done.

IMG_0392.jpg

I hard plumbed the skimmer & original suction port using 1-1/2 PVC. I put ball valves for isolation and a union incase I should ever need to disassemble something. I plan to use the original port as a vacuum port now. I connected to the original Intex fitting using the 1-1/2 PVC electrical box adaptor as recommended here at TFP. I used the nut from an older plunger valve because I liked the fact that I could put it on after the cement dried. Also, if you are very careful you can use the gasket from the plunger valve as well, it's a close enough fit but a hair larger than the inside opening of the port. If you are persistent you can get it to stay in the port properly.

I used a Game A2656 40MM X 1-1/2 Short Adapter for the Intex hose hookup.

IMG_0389.jpg

To keep water out of the original suction port (I was not draining that low) I used a 1-1/2" adapter and hose from an old Intex skimmer on the port & and lifted the other end of the hose out of the water. Worked great to keep the connections dry while the cement set. (LOL I just noticed the stick floating by, hence the skimmer install).

IMG_0394.jpg

On the Return port side I installed the 1-1/2" Hayward return that came with the skimmer. I though it would be best to have a standard fitting. It has a 3/4" eyeball, but I am going to change it to 1" to lower the filter pressure a bit.

IMG_0393.jpg

I then hard piped with 1-1/2" PVC and ball valve. I had to get creative with 45's as I ran out of 90's. I used the second 40MM adapter at the other end.

IMG_0395.jpg

Here it is, all hooked up and refilling while I let the cement dry good!

IMG_0391.jpg

Skimmer works great so far and no leaks!

I hope this helps someone interested in doing this. It was super easy, just take your time. Once the pool was drained it only took me about 3 hours, and that's with double and triple checking everything.

Next, solar heating !!

Dom

Last edited:
Reactions: mirko
Nice job! My husband installed a Hayward skimmer in our pool on Saturday and what an amazing difference it made! We were constantly scooping disgusting little bugs off the surface of our pool. It was a never ending job and I spent most of my time in the pool with the net in hand. I hate bugs! Three hours after he installed the skimmer, I could not find a single bug on the surface of the pool.

Diana

I found that my skimmer works best with the water about 2/3 the way up, or about 2" down from the top grey part of the liner.

The skimmer needs to "skim" the top surface of the water.

Dom

Very nice work....I am jealous. I was wondering what rationale went into the placement of the skimmer? Most installs I have seen have the skimmer placed btween the original intex intake and return.
Just trying to learn as I want to try this mod.

Tx...Greg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dom,

Why did you decide to split the butterfly gasket?
I have just installed a new skimmer on a Doughboy, (the old one cracked) and other than trimming the lining a little (it stretched and interfered with proper gasket sitting, if it was split it would not) it actually helps so you do not need to hold two gaskets.

(I had to use silicone caulk outside, as the surface pitted from age).

Dom,

Why did you decide to split the butterfly gasket?
I have just installed a new skimmer on a Doughboy, (the old one cracked) and other than trimming the lining a little (it stretched and interfered with proper gasket sitting, if it was split it would not) it actually helps so you do not need to hold two gaskets.

(I had to use silicone caulk outside, as the surface pitted from age).
I did not cut the liner until the skimmer was completely installed and plumbed, so splitting the gasket was necessary.

My worry was that I might have caused a tear in the liner while cutting, from the weight of the water in the pool. With the skimmer installed and all screws tight I was much more comfortable cutting the liner.

Dom

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I'm curious if folks using a skimmer on the Intex AGPs are also using solar covers? Does the latter interfere with skimmer operation? I'd assume a solar cover would in any case help reduce the amount of bugs and other debris getting into the water, but I'm still curious. We just installed our AGP and it's mind boggling how many bugs see our pool as an open invitation to splash around and work on their swim strokes!

A solar blanket will float on the surface thus eliminating any surface skimming as the surface is covered.

I only use my solar blanket overnight & the bulk of my filtering is done during daylight hours.

Dom

Thanks Dom. Excuse my ignorance, but do you lose some "heating" performance by having to take the solar cover off during the daytime? I initially thought that they were to help with warming up the water during the day, but when I think about it, the uncovered pool probably acts as a better greenhouse, and the solar cover is probably only useful at nights to help retain heat. Would that be correct?

IME I find that open during the day & covered at night gives me the best balance of heat retention & UV exposure. The pool needs to breathe & UV (sunlight) helps to break down CC's.

Dom

Thanks Dom, that makes sense. I guess a skimmer may be on the cards at some point in the future. Not too keen on giving up a couple of inches of water level for the skimmer though. I'm 6'3", so every extra inch of water counts for me! :)

Dom, Curious how tight you had to crank down the game adapters? I just got a new pump and I am using the adapters. My pump said to hand tighten and then 1/2 turn more. They are leaking and I used the teflon tape. Just wondering how tight you had to get the adapters? I don't want to break my pump or adapters. Thanks in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.