Hayward Skimmer in Intex Ultra Frame AGP

Dom,

Why did you leave the water out plumbed (aka input to the pump)?
The clamp on my stock bucket skimmer just broke. I'm considering this addition.
I'm not sure I understand the question. After I plumbed I left the valves closed for a couple of hours while the cement dried.

If you decided to do this you won't regret it. The biggest advantage is that there is no "bucket" in the pool while you're swimming. It's also a great interface for a vacuum, I usually put a stocking over the skimmer basket so I don't load up the filter from vacuuming.

Dom, Curious how tight you had to crank down the game adapters? I just got a new pump and I am using the adapters. My pump said to hand tighten and then 1/2 turn more. They are leaking and I used the teflon tape. Just wondering how tight you had to get the adapters? I don't want to break my pump or adapters. Thanks in advance.
I used channel locks to tighten them the last 1/2 to one turn. Tighten them a little at a time until the leak stops, but don't go more than a turn or so past "very hand tight". You might need to wrap them heavier, I did not skimp on the Teflon.

Dom

60E9FFDF-860A-48BF-92C0-4E3E0C667E53_zpstukijz6z.jpg

In this pic. The original pump return, where the stock skimmer is connected to. Why did you leave it connected? Just because it was already there?
At first I thought it was for the vacuum, but read that you can still use the vacuum with the new skimmer.

I hope this helps someone interested in doing this. It was super easy, just take your time. Once the pool was drained it only took me about 3 hours, and that's with double and triple checking everything.

Next, solar heating !!

Dom[/QUOTE]

My original intention was to use the original intake as a dedicated vacuum port but for some reason I get better results when I use the skimmer. When using the original intex intake the water level in my leaf basket at the pump starts to drop (cavitation?). Also when I use the skimmer to vacuum I can use a skimmer sock to catch the junk before it gets in my sand filter.

I leave the valve on that intake just cracked open to avoid standing water in there (I close it when I vacuum), with the skimmer valve always wide open.

If I was to do it all over again I would cap off the original intake.

Dom

Reactions: Amylou22
HI Dom. This is a great build, and thanks for the how to. For us Diy's . I am thinking of doing this when I first put up my Cole man 26x52 round. I was getting a parts list together. It looks like Hayward sp1091lx, 1 length 1.1/2 pvc. 1 eletrick box adapter. 2 game a2656 40 mm adapter. 3 unions. 4 elbows 1 tee. All 1 1/2 size . Anything I an missing? Any reason not to pvc the whole thing. Thanks Tom

HI Dom. This is a great build, and thanks for the how to. For us Diy's . I am thinking of doing this when I first put up my Cole man 26x52 round. I was getting a parts list together. It looks like Hayward sp1091lx, 1 length 1.1/2 pvc. 1 eletrick box adapter. 2 game a2656 40 mm adapter. 3 unions. 4 elbows 1 tee. All 1 1/2 size . Anything I an missing? Any reason not to pvc the whole thing. Thanks Tom
I recommend you change the Intex suction port to a Hayward wall fitting, and nix the electrical box adapters. I always have a slow drip at that Intex fitting.

I like having a flexible hose as the soft-sided pool walls do move around a lot. I didn't want that stress at the fitting.

Makes sense. How long would recommend for the pool to be up full of water etc. Before cutting liner for skimmer
How long to settle? Hmm, we're talking 66 TONS of water here, the pool itself should be settled in a few days to a week I would think. If it is on the ground the legs may settle a bit as the ground warms, but that will happen every spring, and shouldn't effect the install.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I'm planning on moving up from an 18' Ultra Frame to a 26' Ultra Frame this year. I've really liked they Hayward skimmer on my '18 and will do it again. But I notice they offer a wide mouth version and wonder if this would offer any advantage for me with the 26' diameter pool?

Also, I installed my skimmer about an inch higher than domct203 did. In two years of heavy use it has been fine. The top of the skimmer was right at the point where the inner and outer material coming down from around the top cross-bar are fused together. There is about an inch of the grey material fused together before the liner changes to the blue tile look. I put the top of the skimmer at the top of this fused material.

i used a male screw in 1/2" fitting. i drilled my hole just a little larger than the fitting. i screwed the fitting into the hole. even though the fitting was good and tight i still ran a small bead of silicone around the inside of the skimmer to keep water from leaking out. then i just 90 down and added more pipe. when it is light out i will take a better pic.

Domct203, I'm planning to install a Hayward skimmer on my pool, can you fix your pictures so I can see how you did it? All your pictures say to update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.