How much shock?

I have a 18,000 gallon pool. I have pool shock with 10% available chlorine. How much shock do I need to super chlorinate and clear my green pool?

I've made sure all the pH and everything is right.
Cleaned out all debris.
Have a pool professional coming to check out the filter.

Last edited:
HI!!!!! :handshake: You have come to the right spot to get your green pool clear.

The first thing you need to do is look at my siggy below and reading about the test kits we all have and use. The test kit will save you so much money and time!

Getting a test kit is really the only way we help you clear your pool. Without it there is no way to tell you what to add and how much.

Let us know when your test kit comes in and we can go from there.

Kim

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store, as they are the ones who teach that you can clear a pool with a couple of "shock" treatments. When you continue to have issues, their only response it to sell you something different.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Welcome Greenswamp! :wave: Kim is right, the proper test kit is everything. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. The TFP method also does not simply "shock" or "super-chlorinate" pools as typically advised by the local pool store. We do what's called "SLAM". The test kit is extremely important to properly conduct a SLAM. So we hope you will consider our advice so we may help you. If you have any questions about the test kits that should be obtained, or anything else related to the TFP site and its methods, please let us know. Nice to hear from you, and welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

Wooo, we were all thinking the same thing. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I almost forgot Greenswamp, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. :)

Welcome to TFP!

One more homework assignment. Get a leaf rake and scoop everything you can out of your pool. The less debris in the pool the faster the SLAM goes and the less chlorine needed to SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.