Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shock question

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock question

Hey guys! I'm new here, and I apologize if this isn't in the right forum. Let me explain my current situation...

I am helping a friend with her above ground pool. It is a polygroup pro series 5061 gallon pool. The pump in it died and it turned into a swamp. I replaced the pump with an intex 1500 GPH filter pump, and have converted it to a saltwater system(The Intex saltwater system), and had to use some adapters to make everything work. Water flow is good, and have already added salt(Did it while it was still green). I have also ordered a Taylor k-2006 kit with expedited delivery and should have it in the next day or two.

Someone at a pool store said to initially hit it with about 8 lbs of shock, which I did(after reading through everything I could find here, I used the concentrated 8.25% clorox bleach you can get at walmart). I have been checking it every few hours(about 2) to clean the filters(we are actually running with a second filter in the skimmer just as a precaution to keep minor debris out of the pump motor(I'm paranoid about it after spending 100 bucks on it).

I did notice within 2 hours a drastic change to the tint of the water, and, I thought more was better, and added an additional 5 lbs. I know I've probably way overdone it, but I also did it because I know for a fact she has never put stabilizer or CYA in the water. Ever.

My question is this:

As of right now, there is absolutely zero green in the pool. It is totally blue(I've taken a dip with a measuring cup I used to assist in getting the bleach as precise as I could), and it is completely free of green, however it's really cloudy. Granted, we won't hit the 24 hour mark until about 11am tomorrow morning, my questions are as follows:

Should I just let the FC come down(I'm assuming it's at an astronomical level)?

Also, I've read that the PH should be between 7.2, and the initial test I did was at 6.8, but I don't trust the crappy basic kit she had.

Should I just leave this alone until I get my taylor, or will the cloudiness clear up?

I have ran a vacuum across the bottom, but I get nothing off it. I have also ran a skimmer across it and got nothing. I'm assuming that at the super high level of chlorine, anything on the bottom has been annihlated.

Can you guys offer some advice from here forward please? And I know it's gonna be way hard without a halfway decent test reading, but I really don't trust this basic kit. It won't even test FC, just combined chlorine and bromine(It's a cheap Academy Sports test kit, the Kokido 5-way reagent one).

Thanks so much, and, again, I apologize if this is in the wrong place!

Btw, you can call me Rusty.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Shock question

Welcome to the forum.

It is virtually impossible to give valid advice until you get valid test results. No one can tell you to go UP or Down until you tell us where you are.

While you are waiting for your kit, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It'll get you off to a good start.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Will do! Thanks Dave!

4. Back To Top    #4

Got my Taylor 2006c today. Ph is below 7 which is as low as my test kit goes. Turns a yellowish color when I test
    FC is 23.5 (took 57 drops to clear pink)
    TA is also above the scale
    CH showed blue immediately, not red so I assume CH is low
    CYA is 50

Shoukd I raise the Ph first and cya and shock again? It is a saltwater pool but the swg has been off all along.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it's an above ground vinyl. Does CH matter?

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello Rusty and Welcome. I'm a new member myself so I'm not going to offer much for you but I do know that in my thread that I've started (I started with a green swamp a few weeks ago too my friend) that Pooldv pointed out to me (about the 5th post in my thread) that the Ph test isn't accurate if the FC is above 10. You will have to wait and see what the guys recommend, I'd hate to steer you in the wrong direction but I'm betting you're going to have to wait for the FC to drop some before getting an accurate Ph reading. I'm not sure how long that would take with and CYA of 50. These guys will steer you right though if you listen. Thankfully, I'm almost thru the mess.
    15,000 gal - AG - Vinyl Beaded Liner
    Pentair Meteor 22" Sand Filter
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5HP Pump
    Installed Summer 2014
    TF-100 Test Kit, City Water

6. Back To Top    #6

Forgot about that. Lol. Thanks! I'll see what advice the others offer too before I go further

7. Back To Top    #7

He got it right! Good job!

Do not bother testing PH with the FC that high. FC over 10 messes with PH test.

CH in a vinyl pool does not matter. Don't worry about it.

Have you seen the FC/CYA chart. If not here it is:

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Let us know if you have any other questions. You are on the right track!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you! I'll add a little stabilizer and the FC and maintain the shock. Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

If your CYA of 50 is accurate and the SWG isn't working 50 in a vinyl pool is as high as you need to go. with SWG is 70-80. If I read correctly the SWG isn't working? Any more stabilizer and you'll need to drain some water.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok. Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes. The SWG is off. So I'll let the chlorine level fall to 20 and maintain there like it says for a cya of 50. I just hold it there for a few days til the water clears?

12. Back To Top    #12

You got it! Try to test as often as possible. The more you keep your FC at your SLAM level the faster your water will clear.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Cool! Thanks!!

14. Back To Top    #14

So just for my novice curiosity....does he not need to balance the Ph before maintaining shock level? I'm just curious?
    15,000 gal - AG - Vinyl Beaded Liner
    Pentair Meteor 22" Sand Filter
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5HP Pump
    Installed Summer 2014
    TF-100 Test Kit, City Water

15. Back To Top    #15

PH should be adjusted before a SLAM is started.

His SLAM has started so we are working with what he has.

Kim

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMetropolis View Post
    FC is 23.5 (took 57 drops to clear pink)
    Hi Rusty if took 57 drops then the FC is 28.5. see i'm good at pool math!
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

Is it ok for the FC to be a little high during the shock?

18. Back To Top    #18

Poolnoob: Omg you're right. Lol. Feel less smart now! Haha

19. Back To Top    #19

Some people will shoot for a little over their SLAM level if they know they will be away from the pool for a while.

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

Hi Rusty. Remember you will not be completely done until the pool passes 3 tests.
    Water is clean and Clear
    CC is .5 or less
    Over night Chorline loss test is less than 1ppm.

I'm dealing with cloudy water too in a new pool. Only been up for a couple of weeks. These folks can help you. Learn all you can and listen to them.
    Good Luck!
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast