Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about CYA test

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about CYA test

Hi. I use the Taylor K2006 test kit to test my water and the one test that I never really know if I am doing right is the CYA test. My question is, do I stop dripping sample into the small tube as soon as the black dot begins to disappear or does it have to be completely not viewable before I stop with the solution? At around 75 I can almost see the dot completely gone but it is very faintly visible. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
    Salt Water 8000 AGP 12' X 18' X 54" - Hayward S166T 16" Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump - Hayward Aqua Trol RJ Salt Generator System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about CYA terst

Just barely visible. Edit- when it becomes not visible. See below.

3. Back To Top    #3

It should be completely gone and not visible at all. Taylor has photos of the test available.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Jblizzle is correct. Here is the Taylor page.

http://taylortechnologies.com/Chemis...P?ContentID=36

5. Back To Top    #5

This link has similar photos but that are larger so perhaps easier to see.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Question about CYA test

A general note about the end point. The end point is where the black dot on the bottom of the vial disappears from sight. Therefore, it should be just beyond being barely visible. The difference between being barely visible and where it just disappears should probably not be more than about 1 or 2 ppm. In any case, this is one of the more difficult tests to get good consistency and accuracy.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here's a tip that helps me sometimes - when you think the dot is gone, look away from the tube for a few seconds. Look at the trees, sky, the pool, whatever else is around, then look back and see if you can still see the dot. It helps to refresh my eyes, for lack of a better way to explain it. Just focusing on that dot for a bit can play tricks on your eyes sometimes, kind of like burn-in on a TV. If that makes sense...sometimes I have trouble explaining things and keeping a post short at the same time.

Also, make sure to do the test in bright sunlight, with the sun to your back.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

8. Back To Top    #8

Im glad someone asked this, adn posted the pics from Taylor, as I had never seen those before. If you look at their examples of the Test End, I can see the edges of the black dot. Not easily, but it can be seen. And just in case you ask, Im not talking about the outise ring that is the edge of the tube or sticker. I can see the edges of the black dot, very slightly. Can someone help me on this. Am I crazy here?
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions. I was always concentrating on pouring the solution into the vial until there is absolutely no traces of the black dot. Even beyond barely visible and that would give me a lower CYA reading. I'm trying to keep my CYA between 70 and 80 as per the recommended level. I've been doing the test in the evening time in my house and even though the lighting in my kitchen is pretty good, probably not as food as doing it in daylight with sun to my back.

Side question. How often should I be testing CYA? Also, which tests should I perform on a more continuous basis? I want my water crystal clear ALL the time. Thanks everyone. Great site, so glad I found it.

Salt Water 8000 AGP 12' X 18' X 54" - Hayward S166T 16" Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump - Hayward Aqua Trol RJ Salt Generator System

10. Back To Top    #10

I just bought the R7065 standard solution (which should measure 50ppm). I think I could still see the black, but not the crisp outline that defined the black circle. I was a little surprised that the black wasn't completely obscured. As someone mentioned, the transition from the clear outline of the circle to just seeing something down there was only a few ppm.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by lasercomp View Post
    Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions. I was always concentrating on pouring the solution into the vial until there is absolutely no traces of the black dot. Even beyond barely visible and that would give me a lower CYA reading. I'm trying to keep my CYA between 70 and 80 as per the recommended level. I've been doing the test in the evening time in my house and even though the lighting in my kitchen is pretty good, probably not as food as doing it in daylight with sun to my back.

Side question. How often should I be testing CYA? Also, which tests should I perform on a more continuous basis? I want my water crystal clear ALL the time. Thanks everyone. Great site, so glad I found it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    It depends on what source of sanitation you are using as to how often you need to check CYA. Most people here use liquid chlorine to sanitize which does not contain any stabilizer (another word for CYA). If you're using something like trichlor tabs, you're always adding CYA to the pool because the tablets contain stabilizer.

You don't really get rid of CYA unless you drain water. Therefore, the level stays pretty consistent and you don't need to check it every day or anything like that. If you're anal, I'd say once a week. More likely, once a month or so is fine. Obviously, if you know you've added stabilizer or use tablets you want to keep a closer eye on it.

You really should check your FC & CC levels daily or every other day. That's the test that needs to be performed most frequently.

I see that you have a salt water system. I don't know anything about that so somebody else will have to chime in with any specifics.
    16x40 Lazy L Vinyl Inground, Hayward Pump & Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for your reply. I dont use any chlorine tablets since I have a salt system. I check fc, cc and pH every other day. Just wanted to know if there was more I can do to ensure I don't allow my water to go bad by not checking something. As for being anal, the answer is yes. Lol. Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

How do you check your salt level?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    How do you check your salt level?
    I test salt with test strips. Also my swg tells me.