Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do water bugs mean algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do water bugs mean algae?

Current test FC 7, cc 0, ch 280, ph 7.8, TA 130, ca 50

Been through a slam 3 weeks ago. Since I have improved ca from 80 and TA from 250 to current. The lowest FC has been is 6.6. We missed a few days on brushing but not more than one day in arow. Pool is clear with only the rust stains I get from my well water on the floor and walls (getting better since opening). Today saw a large increase in water bugs. I believe backswimmers. Since slam there's been a few bugs with small increase then there would only be a few. Besides going through a slam are there any other suggestions? I've heard certain algecides or dish soap (don't know how soap effects a pools chemistry) are possible ways to kill existing ones.
    20k gal inground plaster pool with 2hp pump, sand filter, kreepy krawly,cleaner with chlorinator. Well water Full sun. Leslie's 81329 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do water bugs mean algae?

Algecides and soap are both things you do not want to introduce to your pool. No, they do not mean algae in the water.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

The presence of water bugs (e.g., backswimmers) is not related to algae. More likely, you've just hit the time of year where their populations increase. I occasionally get a couple in my pool and I have never had algae. You can try bumping FC up to the high end of the recommended range for your CYA and/or add some borates to the pool in the range of 30-50 ppm. Those measures may reduce the number of water bugs that get into the pool but don't be surprised if you get one or two from time to time.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

I get a couple every year and have borates. They are not as noticeable now.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the comments. I'll look into borates. Yesterday we had 100+ Bugs this morning it is well reduced. Maybe they were just passing thru and found no food source.
    20k gal inground plaster pool with 2hp pump, sand filter, kreepy krawly,cleaner with chlorinator. Well water Full sun. Leslie's 81329 kit