Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dog Hair and pine needles with sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Dog Hair and pine needles with sand filter

I thought I would share this one. I have been a steady lurker for a while picking up many tips to maintain clear water. Lately my pump pressure has been steadily increasing and sometimes while vacuuming I would see dirty water coming back through the returns. I thought initially that my gauge must be bad and maybe a bad spider gasket but the other symptoms which include a slight decrease in flow suggested otherwise. I have three large pine trees around my pool which drop thousands of needles into the pool each season and a large labrador who loves to swim daily. His fur does clog the skimmer and pump strainer basket but this is not a big deal.

I am probably one of the few people on the planet with an old Jacuzzi Laser sand filter so I have been reluctant to perform the "deep cleaning" or inspect the valve etc for the fear of tearing a brittle gasket that I would be challenged to find.

Anyways the time has come so I took it apart. I put my hand in the sand and sure enough the top layer was a coagulated mess for the first inch or so. It had the consistency of bread dough. I scooped out this mixture of gook, dog hair and pine needles, all of which could not pass through during routine backwashing. Below this layer was nice clean sand. A quick rinse before switching to filter and the system was once again running nicely.

I tried to post a pic, but the file was too big. I am sure everyone can get a mental image of a small pile of coagulated sand mixed with hair and needles.

Something for other dog/pool owners to watch for.
    16 X 32 wooden frame with aluminum braces in ground pool. 3.6ft shallow end, 8.5ft deep end. 22,000 gallons. Pool constructed in 1976 in Chicago area. Mechanics: 1HP hayward super pump, Jaccuzi sand filter, Hayward SWG, and Raypak 2100 heater. No main drain (capped years ago) 3 jets, 1 skimmer. Liner replaced May 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

South Park, PA

Re: Dog Hair and pine needles with sand filter

My border collie loves a daily swim. Lots of fur in the skimmer baskets and the pump suction basket. Both are easy to take care of with a regular cleaning.

I have a cartridge filter, so won't have the same problem there.

Thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Dog Hair and pine needles with sand filter

If you haven't done so already, some of us use a skimmer sock to wrap around the skimmer to catch some of those smaller items before they make it to the pump basket and/or filter. I use a 1 gallon paint strainer that I purchased at a local home improvement store and it works well to catch the really small bugs and dog hair that would normally go right through my skimmer. Just a thought. My dog loves the water too.

On a side note - to post a pic .. have you tried linking from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!