Test Kits/Strips

Texgal

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2012
Boerne, Texas
Thanks in advance. There is continued confusion in my head when trying to wrap my head around the whole CYA testing!

To confuse myself further, I used a test strip because I just don't feel comfortable with my CYA testing abilities…did I see the dot? is it really there? I think I still see it? Maybe I don't? UGH!!!!!!

My test strip says my CYA is LOW but using my TF-100 kits it says it's 90 (I think). Really bothers me that there is such a big difference. Anyone know why this is? Are test strips truly worthless?

I like to say that test strips are great at measuring the distance to the bottom of the trash can, and I mean it.

Just remember, the general opinion on the site regarding pool store tests and test strips is not without merit. The number of bad results from these methods over the years is staggering. You are doing fine, the CYA test is not the easiest. Watch the video Dave posted and remember you can pour it back and forth between bottle and tube to retry it a few times until you are more sure.

You got this, if I can do it with my terrible eyesight, you can too!

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

My biggest problem with the test strips is that a given dot on the strip represents a range. For example, one I saw recently had a "Good" range of 30 - 50. That's very comforting and all, but it doesn't tell me whether it's 30 or 50 or somewhere in between. If that isn't bad enough, the next dot on the scale represented a reading of 100. So if my actual CYA is 70, where will that show up?

CYA on a test strip is the least accurate. Really the only thing a 5 or 6 way test strip is good for is to show presence of chlorine and approximate pH. They measure total hardness so they are inaccurate for calcium levels.

They are sensitive to humidity, temperature, and age. Unless they have been carefully cared for from factory to home a lot of factors can render them useless before they can be used.

When testing CYA using your TF100, wiggle the bottom of the test tube while you're pouring in the solution. Our eyes are better at seeing movement than seeing subtle shades of grey behind a reflective surface. The movement of the dot avoids the persistence of vision problem, and gives you more consistent results.

I rest the top of the test tube against the squeeze bottle with the poolwater/reagent solution (so I don't lose any), and wiggle the base just enough to see the black dot move. When I no longer see movement, I take my reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.