Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 27 round AG Pool Pump and Filter Question

1. Back To Top    #1

27 round AG Pool Pump and Filter Question

I've been perusing the forums in search of what pump and filter I should use. I just recently bought a home and acquired a 27` round pool that is LOADED with leaves, but that is another thread all together. For now, I want to get this pump/filter purchase nailed down since somebody apparently stole the old setup. Here is what I know.

Gallons - around 17k (well water)

Run - The deck for the pump/filter is located directly next to the pool under a deck w/plenty of access. So maybe 2-3 feet.

Setup - It is a standard AG setup with the skimmer located up high on the side of the pool.

Also I will add that this pool is surrounded by nearby trees. It probably gets half a days worth of direct sunlight on a clear day.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Here is what I am considering:

SAND FILTER

Hayward S244T Pro Series Sand Pool Filter 24" With Valve

PUMP

Hayward Max-Flo XL Pool Pump 3/4HP - SP2305X7

I was trying to stick to a $1000 budget for getting this pool up and running, but after looking at the cost of these 2 items alone, I may have been a little too optimistic...or cheap. Thanks for any and all replies.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 27 round AG Pool Pump and Filter Question

I will just tell you what I have and works great for my 33' round pool:

Clear Water Waterway sand filter 26" and a Waterway 1.5 hp variable speed pump.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for your response. I'll look into both of those items. I just want to make sure that what I am looking at isn't overkill or simply the wrong type for my pool. I've read all the pool school info, but I'm afraid to make a decision until I hear from some veterans like yourself Kim. My test kit comes Thursday, so I'm hoping to get this part locked down so I can start testing, cleaning, and hopefully swimming!

4. Back To Top    #4

The filter cannot be overkill. The bigger the better! NO one has ever said "I wish I had a smaller filter". The pump........that is what came with my pool so that is what I use. It moves the water great. I have not had any problems with my pool since it was put up.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

and then you have guys like me I went overkill, But I am planning on going inground with the same setup in 5 to 10 years, and I have the ability to expand...

this looks like a great little 2 speed 1hp pump for $211 8.8 amps on high and 2.6 amps on low
    Amazon.com : 1 HP 2-Speed 3450/1725 RPM, 115 volts Above Ground Pool Pump - Waterway brand - With large Debris Ba : Swimming And Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

and this looks like a good filter for $290
    Amazon.com : Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch In Ground Pool Sand Filter : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

That puts you at 500 for filter and pump

You would have to get the correct unions to fit the pump and filter and hard pipe it to the pool
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I made a few adjustments hoping to save a little and still have an efficient setup. My TF-100 test kit came in the mail yesterday, so I am REALLY excited to get started on this pond. Thank you to everyone for your replies.

Hayward S210T 21-inch Pro Series Sand Filter

&

Hayward SP1591 Power Flo Matrix AG 3/4 HP Pump

I'm really hoping these will do the trick!

7. Back To Top    #7

Please let me know if I am on the right track before I purchase

I recently purchased a home that came with a 27' round pool. It gets direct sun until about 2:30-3 daily. The pool is surrounded by trees. I've already purchased my TF-100 pool kit in preparation of getting this beauty blue again, which will be a long road. After reading through the forums, this is what I'm considering. Thanks for any and all help.

&

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Please let me know if I am on the right track before I purchase

Welcome! You've done the single most important part already - ordering that TF-100. You will love it, and it will pay for itself. Really, until it comes in and you post some test results, there's not much we can do right now unless you have a specific question about your water condition or equipment. Since you mentioned "turning your water blue again", I'm assuming it's cloudy or green perhaps? If that's the case, please take a moment to read the two links below titled "SLAM" and "Chlorine/CYA Chart". Those are key pieces of information for you to follow.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, please let us know and we'll be glad to assist. Have a great day!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please don't forget to add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!

Ok, while you wait for your awesome test kit get the leaf rake and scoop all the debris out of your pool. It will make the SLAM go much faster and use less chlorine/bleach.

Have you read the SLAM process 4 or 5 times? Here it is, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi! You are already so far ahead with the test kit you will do fine!

Kim

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Welcome! You've done the single most important part already - ordering that TF-100. You will love it, and it will pay for itself. Really, until it comes in and you post some test results, there's not much we can do right now unless you have a specific question about your water condition or equipment. Since you mentioned "turning your water blue again", I'm assuming it's cloudy or green perhaps? If that's the case, please take a moment to read the two links below titled "SLAM" and "Chlorine/CYA Chart". Those are key pieces of information for you to follow.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, please let us know and we'll be glad to assist. Have a great day!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please don't forget to add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.
    My question is:

Is this pump and filter sufficient for my 27' round pool?

&

But yes it is definitely full of leaves and amphibians. I got lucky and the pool did have a winter cover on it, so it did save me some work scooping leaves, but it had some holes in it, so I know that isn't where the story ends. I haven't taken the cover off yet, but I move in this week and plan on taking it off. I'll start another thread pertaining to cleaning the pool, but for now I wanted to make sure my equipment will be efficient. Thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

Ok, while you wait for your awesome test kit get the leaf rake and scoop all the debris out of your pool. It will make the SLAM go much faster and use less chlorine/bleach.

Have you read the SLAM process 4 or 5 times? Here it is, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    My test kit was the first thing I bought when we bought the house about 2 1/2 weeks ago haha, so it's already in my posession. I also did buy a leaf rake right away...actually bought 3 because the first one broke 5 minutes into using it. I haven't purchased ANY chemicals as of yet, but thats only because I'm still a few days maybe nights of scooping leaves and sticks out of the bottom of the pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

Pump is ok, filter could be a little bigger.

Sounds like you are all set to go!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

I will be reading this thoroughly while waiting for my pump/filter to arrive. Thanks! Also, I will jump up to the 300 lb filter to be on the safe side.

15. Back To Top    #15

Mine was like yours when I started minus I had pump and filter. Stay the course when you start slamming. I had my doubts I'm day 13 in, but it will work goodluck
    24" Round Above Ground 14000 Gallons, Pentair Sand Dollar Filter, 1.5 HP Pump, K-2006 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Another quick question about this topic. I've been looking for a 300 lb sand filter and everything I find says it's for in ground pools. Is this ok to use?

17. Back To Top    #17

Anyone?

18. Back To Top    #18

No help here A bump for someone else to see-------Calling all filter experts please look

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

Does the filter come with a pump? If so, the "in ground" is likely referring to the pump. It is fine to use an in ground pump on AGP, but not the other way around. I haven't seen a filter that can only be used on an IGP.

20. Back To Top    #20

It does not come with a pump. It is stand alone on Amazon.

Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch In Ground Pool Sand Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast