Rusty/brown color when first starting pump

Hi and welcome.

First off, can you post your test results? That will help identify what's gone on. -- if you don't have a TFT100 or Taylor k2006 recommended by TFP, see the link in my signature. (these kits can read high FC levels, which is germane to metal oxidization.)

Is the pool new to you? Are you on a well and had you just added chlorine, by any chance?

I ask because sometimes people with iron or copper in their water will have it turn brown when they first add chlorine at high levels -- it's from iron oxidizing and there not being enough metal sequestrant in the water, or the metal sequestrant wearing off over winter.

But if it were only coming out of the returns, I'm not certain what it would be. Do you ave a heater and was it properly drained/winterized? What kind of filter do you have, and if sand, had you backwashed it first?

What does the water look like now...eg did it mix in just a little, or is the whole pool coffee colored?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.