Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rusty/brown color when first starting pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Middletown, PA

Rusty/brown color when first starting pump

Opening my in-ground pool, 18x40. Brought water level up and the pool was clear. Turned on the pump/filter for the first time and a rusty/brown color came out of the returns. any ideas what this may be?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Rusty/brown color when first starting pump

Hi and welcome.

First off, can you post your test results? That will help identify what's gone on. -- if you don't have a TFT100 or Taylor k2006 recommended by TFP, see the link in my signature. (these kits can read high FC levels, which is germane to metal oxidization.)

Is the pool new to you? Are you on a well and had you just added chlorine, by any chance?

I ask because sometimes people with iron or copper in their water will have it turn brown when they first add chlorine at high levels -- it's from iron oxidizing and there not being enough metal sequestrant in the water, or the metal sequestrant wearing off over winter.

But if it were only coming out of the returns, I'm not certain what it would be. Do you ave a heater and was it properly drained/winterized? What kind of filter do you have, and if sand, had you backwashed it first?

What does the water look like did it mix in just a little, or is the whole pool coffee colored?
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Rusty/brown color when first starting pump

Welcome to the forum.

Is it still brown? What does your water look like? a pic would likely help.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School