Remove phosphates with a cellulose filter?

Jun 7, 2015
Concord, CA
This spring, I changed the filter medium from DE to a cellulose fiber product called Fiber Clear. Water tests done by our local pool store over the last couple of months shows increasing phosphate levels since April from 100 ppb to 200 to 1000 to 750 to now 2000 ppb. The ideal range is < 100 ppb. The water analysis report provided by the pool store warns "Do not add PhosFree or Pool Perfect + PhosFree (which are the products sold by this particular chain store) to a filter using a cellulose fiber product, such as Fiber Clear." Apparently using Phosfree will gum up the filter grids.

What can be done (other than draining and replacing pool water as California is in a drought) to remove phosphates from the pool water if I have a filter using Fiber Clear? Is there any product or something else that can be done?

Thank you for your help!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Ignore phosphates ... they are a buzz word that pool stores are using to make money. I mean the fact that the levels changed like they did should have clued you in that the testing is horrible.

If you have a properly chlorinated pool, then the phosphate level is meaningless.

You need to cut ties with the pool store, invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits, and enjoy a clear pool all summer for much less $$$ than you would dealing with the store.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Is there any product or something else that can be done?
Yes, do absolutely nothing. Phosphates are not relevant to the successful management of a pool. Search "phosphates" on this forum and you will find hundreds of testimonials that there simply is no need.

Welcome to TFP!

I'm not sure what can be done to remove phosphates in such a situation, but the good news is that if you read around the forum (and the responses above) you will see that we don't consider phosphates to be an important reading for pool management. Removing phosphates removes a food source for algae, however in a well managed pool with a proper FC to CYA ratio there is no living algae to consume phosphates.

You should read the links jblizzle posted, they are very useful for getting a better understanding of pool chemistry and why we say the things we say (which are often NOT what the employees at a pool store will say).

What can be done (other than draining and replacing pool water as California is in a drought) to remove phosphates from the pool water if I have a filter using Fiber Clear? Is there any product or something else that can be done?

Thank you for your help!
What can be done is take the money you would have given the pool store for the Phosfree and invest it in a proper test kit and take matters into your own hands.

Five years of self-maintaining my pool and I still have no clue what my phosphate level is. Never had it tested. Never had an algae bloom in that whole time, either, and my pool has never been closed. It's been too cold to swim in, but chemistry has been maintained the whole while. And I use fiberclear in my filter if that's any consolation.

Welcome! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.