Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remove phosphates with a cellulose filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Remove phosphates with a cellulose filter?

This spring, I changed the filter medium from DE to a cellulose fiber product called Fiber Clear. Water tests done by our local pool store over the last couple of months shows increasing phosphate levels since April from 100 ppb to 200 to 1000 to 750 to now 2000 ppb. The ideal range is < 100 ppb. The water analysis report provided by the pool store warns "Do not add PhosFree or Pool Perfect + PhosFree (which are the products sold by this particular chain store) to a filter using a cellulose fiber product, such as Fiber Clear." Apparently using Phosfree will gum up the filter grids.

What can be done (other than draining and replacing pool water as California is in a drought) to remove phosphates from the pool water if I have a filter using Fiber Clear? Is there any product or something else that can be done?

Thank you for your help!
    16k gal. fiberglass pool; Pentair Inteliflo VS pump; Hayward Pro-Grid DE60020 filter; Hayward Pro Grid D.E. Separation Tank; Chlorine Genie chlorine generator; Fafco solar heating; Kreepy Krauly vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Remove phosphates with a cellulose filter?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Ignore phosphates ... they are a buzz word that pool stores are using to make money. I mean the fact that the levels changed like they did should have clued you in that the testing is horrible.

If you have a properly chlorinated pool, then the phosphate level is meaningless.

You need to cut ties with the pool store, invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits, and enjoy a clear pool all summer for much less $$$ than you would dealing with the store.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Is there any product or something else that can be done?
    Yes, do absolutely nothing. Phosphates are not relevant to the successful management of a pool. Search "phosphates" on this forum and you will find hundreds of testimonials that there simply is no need.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

I'm not sure what can be done to remove phosphates in such a situation, but the good news is that if you read around the forum (and the responses above) you will see that we don't consider phosphates to be an important reading for pool management. Removing phosphates removes a food source for algae, however in a well managed pool with a proper FC to CYA ratio there is no living algae to consume phosphates.

You should read the links jblizzle posted, they are very useful for getting a better understanding of pool chemistry and why we say the things we say (which are often NOT what the employees at a pool store will say).
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dhamiltonusa View Post
    What can be done (other than draining and replacing pool water as California is in a drought) to remove phosphates from the pool water if I have a filter using Fiber Clear? Is there any product or something else that can be done?

Thank you for your help!
    What can be done is take the money you would have given the pool store for the Phosfree and invest it in a proper test kit and take matters into your own hands.

Five years of self-maintaining my pool and I still have no clue what my phosphate level is. Never had it tested. Never had an algae bloom in that whole time, either, and my pool has never been closed. It's been too cold to swim in, but chemistry has been maintained the whole while. And I use fiberclear in my filter if that's any consolation.

Welcome!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all!! really appreciate your comments and help!
    16k gal. fiberglass pool; Pentair Inteliflo VS pump; Hayward Pro-Grid DE60020 filter; Hayward Pro Grid D.E. Separation Tank; Chlorine Genie chlorine generator; Fafco solar heating; Kreepy Krauly vacuum