Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump acts like its not getting power

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump acts like its not getting power

Complete novices at all things pool, it came with the house...

Finally figured out all the hoses and connections and so on, only to have the pump act like it is not getting power. No noise at all.

Pump is a Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5 HP with a twist lock plug. Switch on the pump is on.

The outlet it connects to doesn't have any sort of GFCI reset buttons on it. Switch on the receptacle is on.

Timer is making its normal noise and is set to manual, but even if it were on the timer, it should be running the pump right now.

The single unlabeled set of switches in the electrical box we flipped on and off, (former owners were pretty meticulous about labels)... the timer continued to make noise regardless of its position but it may be wired on its own.

Only thing we haven't done at the time of posting this is drag a old pump in the basement (no idea if it works) out to the pool to plug in. I wanted to see if there were any other suggestions that we aren't aware of (eg, can twist lock plugs be finicky if not twisted just right, or is that design only to ensure it doesn't accidentally unplug)?
    We inherited an AG Lomart Grey Mist 18' x33' (15,700gal according to the estimator), installed 2006, using Sustain chemicals for now. Learned very quickly how wrong the test strips and pool stores can be, so I use a Taylor FAS DPD kit.
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1.5HP pump, Hayward Pro Series S180T sand filter.
    100% beginner at pool ownership... explain it to me as you would to a five year old :D

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump acts like its not getting power

Welcome to TFP!!!

I would use a multimeter to verify if there is power at the twist lock outlet or not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

No noise at all.
    Not even a faint hum?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Also make sure that twist lock is fully twisted til it WONT turn any further. Might have to buy a cheap voltmeter or you can buy a non-contact Tic Tracer. The later detects emf created by the voltage when held on the exterior of the cable from pump. Cost about $15-$20
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Total silence.

At least it's still been going into the 40s at night and it's relatively cool during the day, so we aren't exactly missing prime swim weather

6. Back To Top    #6

Resolved! My husband tried an old pump on the outlet, same result. When we got the multimeter (I'll take any excuse I can to buy a new tool for the house, haha), husband tested the outlet but wasn't getting anything. He thought maybe he wasn't getting into the twist lock right, so he took the cover off and tried again, 120v! Put the cover back on and plugged in the pump and suddenly it works! Maybe something was loose or off centered or dirty inside the twist lock.

In summary, we have no idea how he fixed it, but he did.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd suggest taking that twistlock back apart and checking all the connections. If it's a loose connection it can cause problems down the road and not pretty ones!

I'd also want to know where the breaker is for that circuit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with you......loose is not a good thing. Twist locks are tricky sometimes they need to be all the way seated.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    I'd suggest taking that twistlock back apart and checking all the connections. If it's a loose connection it can cause problems down the road and not pretty ones!

I'd also want to know where the GFCI breaker is for that circuit.
    fixed it for you
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

I wanted to know where it was myself, because there's no test/reset button on the outlet. There is a test/reset button on the switch for the pool in the breaker box in the basement, but nowhere else.
    We inherited an AG Lomart Grey Mist 18' x33' (15,700gal according to the estimator), installed 2006, using Sustain chemicals for now. Learned very quickly how wrong the test strips and pool stores can be, so I use a Taylor FAS DPD kit.
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1.5HP pump, Hayward Pro Series S180T sand filter.
    100% beginner at pool ownership... explain it to me as you would to a five year old :D