Potential to become corrosive to plaster

cmc#5

Feb 21, 2015
Magnolia, TX
I'm playing around with PoolMath and I'm confused by the warning the CSI field gives: potentially corrosive to plaster. The thing is, I'm entering values all right out of TFP: FC 4, Ph 7.5, TA 70, CH 300, CYA 75, Salt 3000. This gives a CSI of -0.32 and the concerning message. Whats the story? I see that I can easily raise this CSI by raising the Ph but I'm concerned that a higher Ph will lead to calcium scaling on the tile.

Your CSI is within the acceptable range and keeping your pH a little higher would bring the CSI closer to zero.
One fact you seem to be missing is that calcium scaling will not occur unless the CSI is very positive.

I will add though, that getting a ring around the tile is nearly inevitable as it is due to water evaporation leaving all the minerals on the tile. Keeping the CSI a little negative can help, but not likely to stop a ring from developing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.