Installing a Foam Base Under the Liner.... Cover with a tarp???

May 17, 2015
Raymond
In an effort to keep the pool water warmer, I am following the method others have described here of placing 4x8 sheets of DOW brand Blue Styrofoam Insulating Board under the liner. The sheets of foam are taped together with Gorilla brand duct tape.

The idea is to provide some thermal isolation between the pool and the ground. It is my understanding that other than controlling evaporation with a solar cover this is the next best thing one can do to keep the water warm.

Some have described placing a tarp between the foam board, and the liner...

What if any benefit is there in placing a tarp over the foam board and under the liner???

Thanks!
Dave

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I would only guess that the tarp would make the tape/seams less noticeable?

BTW, duct tape is typically not waterproof and it is quite thick. I think the house wrap weatherproofing tape (like Tyvek) is better in this application.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your feedback! I used the tape the manufacturer makes for the foam I used: Dow Weathermate Construction Tape 267819. It's basically packing tape with a powerful waterproof adhesive. Worked great and did not use a tarp. The floor of the pool feels awesome, and I suspect the thermal isolation is/will help my solar system keep up.

On a separate note, I got one pebble under the liner, and darn if I'm not worried that one day it will become a point where the liner leaks. Is there any way to seal a small hole in a vinyl liner on the floor of the pool without draining the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.