Pumps Strainer Basket

Tomw

Jun 7, 2015
Orland Park IL
I had to replace a leaking o-ring, replaced but now I cannot seem to get the strainer basket spun on and aligned upward, stops facing down every time, no matter where I begin spinning it back on. Does it remain "loose" and only held in place by retaining clip? Also, when I removed, I don't think I saw any teflon tape on the threads. Do I use it?

It's a Hayward SP1580X15 THANKS in advance.

Well I still have no idea what you're talking about :)

The Physical connection - strainer housing to the pump housing... they join by threads... if I "spin" the strainer basket onto the pump housing by the time the threads tighten, the HOUSING is facing downward, and the hose connection is facing upward.

See the diagram link... the #8, strainer housing is facing down, while the orientation of part #1, the pump housing is facing upward. So does the threaded part remain loose and then #15, strainer housing clip attach them or does it need to be tight?

Hayward POWERFLX Parts List and Diagram - (SP1580X15) : eReplacementParts.com

Hey, it's an above ground pump! That changes almost every thought I wasn't having. I was drinking of the basket in an inground pump. Since it has an o-ring between the strainer basket housing and the pump, I would tighten it til it's as tight as it can be in the correct orientation. As long as it doesn't leak it shouldn't be a problem not to be super tight. The o-ring is what does the sealing. That part of the pump isn't under pressure. If it leaks you'll see a little drip with it off, and air bubbles with it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, it's an above ground pump! That changes almost every thought I wasn't having. I was drinking of the basket in an inground pump. Since it has an o-ring between the strainer basket housing and the pump, I would tighten it til it's as tight as it can be in the correct orientation. As long as it doesn't leak it shouldn't be a problem not to be super tight. The o-ring is what does the sealing. That part of the pump isn't under pressure. If it leaks you'll see a little drip with it off, and air bubbles with it on.

Thanks for reply but thats not the part Im working on. The o ring is secured. The strainer housing attaches to pump housing via threads and by the time it's tight the orientation is 180 degrees off.

b91bcea6a467e4c7b7b2a482315a4c33.jpg

So you're not attaching part 8 to part 2?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tomw, the part you're concerned with is called the Strainer Housing. You originally called it the Strainer Basket, which is item 11 and that's the reason everyone was so confused with your description. The parts diagram helped clear that up.

I've gotta agree with n240sxguy that you should position the Strainer Housing in its proper "upward" position and rely on the oring for proper sealing. The sealing at the threaded joint is likely accomplished by the oring, NOT by fully tightening the threads. If you don't get a good seal there, maybe your oring is undersize in its thickness. Orings are commonly available in different thicknesses from hardware or auto parts stores. Use some valve grease on the oring when you assemble it. I don't know exactly how the clip works but I suspect it does lock the housing in the vertical position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.