Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pumps Strainer Basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Pumps Strainer Basket

I had to replace a leaking o-ring, replaced but now I cannot seem to get the strainer basket spun on and aligned upward, stops facing down every time, no matter where I begin spinning it back on. Does it remain "loose" and only held in place by retaining clip? Also, when I removed, I don't think I saw any teflon tape on the threads. Do I use it?

It's a Hayward SP1580X15 THANKS in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pumps Strainer Basket

I am greatly confused by your description ... no idea what would be facing upward vs downward
    Retaining clips?

Are we talking about the pump basket lid?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I am greatly confused by your description ... no idea what would be facing upward vs downward
    Retaining clips?

Are we talking about the pump basket lid?
    The orientation of the strainer basket, it ends up facing down when snug. In order to face upward, it would be loose.

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have a picture? My basket just drops in then the lid goes on. I don't think they even make contact.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I still have no idea what you're talking about
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Well I still have no idea what you're talking about

The Physical connection - strainer housing to the pump housing... they join by threads... if I "spin" the strainer basket onto the pump housing by the time the threads tighten, the HOUSING is facing downward, and the hose connection is facing upward.

See the diagram link... the #8, strainer housing is facing down, while the orientation of part #1, the pump housing is facing upward. So does the threaded part remain loose and then #15, strainer housing clip attach them or does it need to be tight?

Hayward POWERFLX Parts List and Diagram - (SP1580X15) : eReplacementParts.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey, it's an above ground pump! That changes almost every thought I wasn't having. I was drinking of the basket in an inground pump. Since it has an o-ring between the strainer basket housing and the pump, I would tighten it til it's as tight as it can be in the correct orientation. As long as it doesn't leak it shouldn't be a problem not to be super tight. The o-ring is what does the sealing. That part of the pump isn't under pressure. If it leaks you'll see a little drip with it off, and air bubbles with it on.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Hey, it's an above ground pump! That changes almost every thought I wasn't having. I was drinking of the basket in an inground pump. Since it has an o-ring between the strainer basket housing and the pump, I would tighten it til it's as tight as it can be in the correct orientation. As long as it doesn't leak it shouldn't be a problem not to be super tight. The o-ring is what does the sealing. That part of the pump isn't under pressure. If it leaks you'll see a little drip with it off, and air bubbles with it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply but thats not the part Im working on. The o ring is secured. The strainer housing attaches to pump housing via threads and by the time it's tight the orientation is 180 degrees off.

9. Back To Top    #9

So you're not attaching part 8 to part 2?

10. Back To Top    #10

Is the threaded part the fitting on the back of part 8? Next to the o-ring?

11. Back To Top    #11

Tomw, the part you're concerned with is called the Strainer Housing. You originally called it the Strainer Basket, which is item 11 and that's the reason everyone was so confused with your description. The parts diagram helped clear that up.

I've gotta agree with n240sxguy that you should position the Strainer Housing in its proper "upward" position and rely on the oring for proper sealing. The sealing at the threaded joint is likely accomplished by the oring, NOT by fully tightening the threads. If you don't get a good seal there, maybe your oring is undersize in its thickness. Orings are commonly available in different thicknesses from hardware or auto parts stores. Use some valve grease on the oring when you assemble it. I don't know exactly how the clip works but I suspect it does lock the housing in the vertical position.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.