Solar thoughts

rbinn

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2015
Nanaimo BC
Hello,

I thought I would throw a question out and see what the prevaling thought is.

I currently have a 3/4 hp sand filter combo for my 9x18 pool. I have hard plumbed to pump with 1.5 pvc. My return is also 1.5 but I have a "T" to a 1/2 inch that goes to my roof. There is a ball valve above the "T". The 1/2 inch pvc goes into about 200 feet in 2 separate coils of black thin walled 1/2 in tubing then returned to the pool via another 1/2 in pvc pipe. Pump pressure sits at about 8 which is about 3/4 into the green on my pressure gauge. Flow is continually4-5 degrees above pool temp. so its working. Small flow, but never the less working.

After looking at some of the commercial solar setups I thought I would consider this:
1) convert T to roof to 1.5 in with ball valve.
2) build manifold at low end of roof with 4 inline 1.5 to 1/2 in T's with end cap.
3) from each 1/2 in nipple feed a 100 ft coil of 1/2 in black tubing.
4) top manifold would be same as lower except plumbed directly into the pool return instead of separate feed.

I don't know enouph about the math involved to see if this would work. I do know that the thin wall pvc is cheap
And the stuff I currently use has been on the roof for 4 yrs.

Looking forward to your thoughts..

Rob

It is now generally cheaper to buy the commercial panels that to try to DIY a system together ... is you look at the cost per square foot area exposed to the sun (which is what matters for solar heating.

It is now generally cheaper to buy the commercial panels that to try to DIY a system together ... is you look at the cost per square foot area exposed to the sun (which is what matters for solar heating.
Thanks for the reply. The trouble I keep seeing with the commercial units is that they seem to only last a year or two before things start go. I just hate the thought of paying 6 or 700 $ for a system that is bound to fail. I get really good afternoon sun on the roof from about 12 til 4 however the pool is partially shaded at that time.
R

The cost per sq-ft of poly tubing is more than that of some manufactured panels so it isn't a real bargain either.

Note too, that a 100' of 1/2" tubing is only 4 sq-ft. Hardly worth the effort unless you have at least 10 coils. Solar is all about sq-ft of coverage and below 10% is pointless.

The cost per sq-ft of poly tubing is more than that of some manufactured panels so it isn't a real bargain either.

Note too, that a 100' of 1/2" tubing is only 4 sq-ft. Hardly worth the effort unless you have at least 10 coils. Solar is all about sq-ft of coverage and below 10% is pointless.
Ok, so I guess the million dollar question is what type would everyone recommend based on info stated?

Thanks for the input
guys, it helps...
Rob

My used set (no idea of age) of Heliocol panels I installed have worked with 0 issues now for 2 years ... no idea where you got that idea that they only last a couple years. New they come with a lifetime warranty on materials I think.

But I suppose you get what you pay for ... if you get the really cheap ones and do not install and drain properly, they may not last as long.

The panels are "install and forget". I scoured the site and Google prior to buying and I did not see much about the panels failing. Sure, they might spring a leak but that is an easy fix. You can buy them on Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, and any number of other online retailers. Once installed, I believe you will have no regrets.

The panels are "install and forget". I scoured the site and Google prior to buying and I did not see much about the panels failing. Sure, they might spring a leak but that is an easy fix. You can buy them on Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, and any number of other online retailers. Once installed, I believe you will have no regrets.

Thanks for the reply. I guess as anther poster mentioned "you get what you pay for". I live in the Pacific Northwest, where although our winters are relatively mild we do get some serious wind. Is possible to install some of the higher end panels so they can be removed in the fall?

Thanks for the input, as you can tell I have a hard time parting with my money;)
Cheers,

Rob

There are different designs ... for example, the Heliocol panels have individual tubes running between the headers. This allows wind to pass through the panels making damage due to wind less likely. In fact for awhile I had them just sitting on my roof and they did not blow away. They are also very easy to remove the clips now holding the panels to the roof and then separate the panels from each other if you did want to remove them (although not sure this is needed).

Other panels are more rigid and all the tubes are connected so it is more of a solid panel. This may slightly heat better (due to no wind passing through), but they are also giant sails and require more roof penetrations to hold them in place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have space next to the pool to place the panels like these:

Amazon.com: SmartPool SunHeater Solar Heating System for Aboveground Pools 2 Outdoors

The problem with roof mounted panels is you need the extra hardware for mounting and the extra pipe and rise can be too much for a standard AGP pump so you may not get much flow rate through the panels.

Thanks for the reply. I have no option but going to the roof. I wonder if I could somehow retro fit these?

Thanks,

Rob

There are different designs ... for example, the Heliocol panels have individual tubes running between the headers. This allows wind to pass through the panels making damage due to wind less likely. In fact for awhile I had them just sitting on my roof and they did not blow away. They are also very easy to remove the clips now holding the panels to the roof and then separate the panels from each other if you did want to remove them (although not sure this is needed).

Other panels are more rigid and all the tubes are connected so it is more of a solid panel. This may slightly heat better (due to no wind passing through), but they are also giant sails and require more roof penetrations to hold them in place.

Thanks, I am going to have closer look at the Heliocol. They seem to be a bit more sturdy than average ebay or amazon offerings.

I really appreciate the feedback...

Rob

Given your location I think freeze prevention is going to be important, this means panels that not only drain well on their own, but installed so you can blow the remaining water out of them and isolate them in the winter. Therefore one of the more rigid designs may work better for this aspect of things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.