Chemical protection

I'm wondering what procedures everyone else uses to protect themselves from chemicals.

It never seems to fail, no matter how careful I am I end up with bleached clothes while adding pool chemicals. Either a dot splashes of the safety seal when I open a new bottle, or splash back when pouring..

Just now after I thought I washed out my measuring cup something dripped on my shoes causing them to be bleached out in the walk back to my garage.

I've now ruined pants, tshirts, a dress shirt, and now shoes. (Just bought the shoes too, guess they are house shoes now)

Am I just prone to ruined clothing or does this happen to everyone......very tempted to pickup a lab coat for chemical additions.

62c19cdd843d92dcfeae7b01f33776c8.jpg

I measure and pour while leaning waaay out over the pool. If anything splashes, it'll be pool water, not chemicals. And if I have to set the jug down for any reason, I dip it in the pool to rinse it before I do anything.

Wearing shorts and flipflops also minimizes bleached clothes.

For me, I have my "pool maintenance attire". :) That way if I inadvertently get a drop on my clothes, it's no big deal. I almost have a full tie-dye wardrobe. :) Most importantly however (since I am already blind in one eye), I watch the eyes. There's nothing you can do to get those back if something splashes-up in the face. Safety first, wardrobe second for me. :)

I get on my knees at the water return and pour the bleach or acid in there slowly. Less reactive stuff or powders like borax or CYA, or TA adjusters, I pour in at "low altitude", down wind.

Plus when the jug is empty, you can rinse it easily before you throw it into recycle. I object to putting unrinsed chemical containers in recycle since you don't know the capabilities of the people handling them. An unfortunate splash of a few drops of 31% muriatic acid can ruin someone's day.

Dropping it from waist height is guaranteed to get it where you don't want it.

And if you can't get down there, ;), get a long transmission funnel.

Plus when the jug is empty, you can rinse it easily before you throw it into recycle. I object to putting unrinsed chemical containers in recycle since you don't know the capabilities of the people handling them. An unfortunate splash of a few drops of 31% muriatic acid can ruin someone's day.
Wow. I always rinse because I'm a cheapskate and want to get every drop I paid for out of the jug! :mrgreen:

The more handling, the more likely a problem ... just skip the measuring cup and pour directly.

I agree ... add a splash to the other shoe and now they are customized :D

For liquids, do all measuring and pouring poolside. Pour slowly into measuring containers, and when pouring into the pool, hold the container low to the water and pour carefully near a return. Go slow when pouring acid. That will minimize splashing.

Solid stuff is a bit easier to deal with. For that I just generally avoid getting it on me or any surface other than the water.

I also have a few shirts and a pair of jeans that got bleach spotted. The 12.5% stuff works very quick in that regard. So I usually wear old clothes to do my daily chlorine addition. And I also rinse the jugs prior to recycling too :)

I have an above ground so I set the chlorine on the top of the side rail and unscrew it there, and that's where I may or may to get splashed from the safety seal, Perhaps I should use a knife to poke a hole instead of the ripoff tab that sometimes peels away instead of removing the seal.

Then I place the bottle in the water with the measuring cup and fill it that way, usually that works, but it looks like this last time the cup didn't rinse well enough.

I never even thought of rinsing the jugs for others protection, just tossed them in the recycling container...will have to start that

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.