Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much weight for steps?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much weight for steps?

Like so many others I bought a house with a pool. I've been dealing with an algae issue (and all but have it under control thanks to TFP!). Today while vacuuming I decided to move the steps and scrub inside there. Oops! I broke a bag open and dirtied what was a blue almost clear pool.

Anyay, I need to re weight the steps. At first I was thinking 3 or 4 bleach bottles filled with gravel should do it but this is what I pulled out a few minutes ago:

6 concrete pavers
    2 bags of sand
    2 bags of gravel

pic of mess attached for fun

The plastic on the sand and gravel bags has pretty much disintegrated. So that's gonna be a fun mess to vacuum up.

I have a four step plastic molded thing. (Pic attached)

My question is how much weight do I need? Based on what I pulled out 3 or 4 bottles of gravel isn't going to do it. So based on another thread here I'm thinking about filling PVC pipe with concrete to make weights. Anybody have a suggestion on how much weight would be a good start?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much weight for steps?

I'm not sure how much weight but I'd say how ever much to not have them float! Lol. I know I'm worthless today.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the wedding cake steps. Went to the thrift store and bought used weight lifting weights (plastic with sand or concrete inside). Some 25 pounders and some 10s. I have about 120 pounds total in there and that seems to work just fine. It seems low by other posts I've read, but it works for us. I perform a scuba expedition each year to put them in place. I have each weight tied to a nylon cord, so when it's time to close the pool, I loosen the steps, then just pull each weight up out of the water.

Not one of my weights has ever cracked open. Although they sometimes hold a little algae, it's very minimal and does not impact the pool water. I drilled a few extra holes in the steps, to improve water flow, which also keeps the weights from attracting dirt or algae.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)

4. Back To Top    #4

Ha about the "scuba expedition". My eight year old happily positions the weights for me. If she didn't/couldn't, it wouldn't happen until July.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by f3justusc View Post
    Ha about the "scuba expedition". My eight year old happily positions the weights for me. If she didn't/couldn't, it wouldn't happen until July.
    I hear ya. I'm researching heater options, again... In the fall, I don neoprene chest waders with felt soles for removing the steps. PITA. I liked the wedding cake steps for sitting in the pool, etc., but straight stairs are easier to install and remove, plus take up less swimming area. I had figured we have maybe 6 or 7 years of "pool lie" left, but then you think about grand kids and figure we might always have a pool. If that's the case, maybe a heater makes sense. Not extend to season so much as to just enjoy the pool more often in season. The wife doesn't like cold water either.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought some 3" PVC and bits and pieces along with 100lbs of sand. I've probably got another 30lbs or so in the garage. Maybe it will be enough.

Thanks ya'll. You gave me a starting point.
    Doughboy oval 20 x 12 AGP with through wall skimmer, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 hp pump, Pentair Meteor sand filter, Pentair Rainbow 320 feeder and some broken ozone thing I didn't bother fixing.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    I hear ya. I'm researching heater options, again... In the fall, I don neoprene chest waders with felt soles for removing the steps. PITA. I liked the wedding cake steps for sitting in the pool, etc., but straight stairs are easier to install and remove, plus take up less swimming area. I had figured we have maybe 6 or 7 years of "pool lie" left, but then you think about grand kids and figure we might always have a pool. If that's the case, maybe a heater makes sense. Not extend to season so much as to just enjoy the pool more often in season. The wife doesn't like cold water either.
    Yep, I started with Intex and ended with the hard side pool. I started with a solar dome on the ground, then panels on the pergola, and as of two weekends ago, I drove six hours roundtrip to buy a heater listed on Craigslist. We used to swim at 80 with wetsuits on but we got a hot tub and now, even the kids complain at anything less than 84. When I do install the heater, I am also not interested in swiming in January but when we have the cloudy, overcast days that keep the pool at 82-84, I would like the heater to give it that push to 90 and keep it there.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).