Polaris 280 (with tail sweep pro) lives in the deep end...help!?

Needsdecaf

Jun 28, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
So at the advice of a few in another thread, I purchased and installed the Tail Sweep Pro for my Polaris 280 to keep the thing from constantly spraying my windows. I put it on Friday and while watching it work yesterday morning, I noticed it got stuck in the corners of the shallow end a few times, and then kept motoring down to the deep end and getting stuck there. Even the reverser would only pull it out for it to motor on down there again and stay there.

It did it again this morning so I pulled the tail sweep and watched it run....it zoomed back and forth like a champ.

So do I need to adjust the thrust jet or the sweep hose valve? I noticed it looked like the tail is much less active with the TSP attached...do I just need to crack open the hose sweep valve? Would this negate the "no wet windows" benefit in the first place?

Thanks!

P.S. I do understand that the TSP is reducing the thrust of the jet off the tail by allowing it to expand as well as striking a kind of diffuser.

At the very rear in the center of the unit down low there is a little spout which shoots water out. It shoots rearward. Using your fingers try to move it around. It swivels up and down and left and right giving you 180' in 2 axes to play with. This steers it more or less.

For my 380 getting this spigot on the back set just right was sooo critical. It is REALLY sensitive. 0.1mm off and it isn't the same, so you just have to find that perfect point. If you can't move it, try harder but don't break it. Look closely and you can see where this "ball" mounts into the housing of the cleaner itself. It allows it to get a wide array of up/down/left/right motion.

That movable jet on the back is referred to as the thrust jet. It should be snug, but able to move with normal hand/finger pressure. If it is too tight, loosen the two screws on each side of the thrust jet slightly.

If it is anything like my 360, you should be able to adjust the water flow to the tail sweep hose. On my 360 there is a bolt that acts as the "valve" for the tail sweep. If I open it up all the way the tail will move around a lot. Or I can close it completely and the tail will simply drag behind the cleaner. Does yours have a tail sweep adjustment?

Yes, I am familiar with both the tail sweep valve and the thrust jet. But how much of each is the question....

My 280 operated flawlessly until I put on the tail sweep pro. I have opened the tail valve to compensate and last night adjusted the thrust valve to about 7:00. Let's see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I am familiar with both the tail sweep valve and the thrust jet. But how much of each is the question....

My 280 operated flawlessly until I put on the tail sweep pro. I have opened the tail valve to compensate and last night adjusted the thrust valve to about 7:00. Let's see what happens

How did this pan out for you? I'm thinking about buying the tailsweep pro since I need a new scrubber anyway, but if it leads to problems like this and aren't fixable, I think I'm gonna pass...I see that some models of the tailsweep pro have been discontinued....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for these replies. Just logged on with the same problem. Recently replaced the rear axle unit and the thrust jet must have been thrown off in the process. TFP rocks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.