Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 280 (with tail sweep pro) lives in the deep end...help!?

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 280 (with tail sweep pro) lives in the deep end...help!?

So at the advice of a few in another thread, I purchased and installed the Tail Sweep Pro for my Polaris 280 to keep the thing from constantly spraying my windows. I put it on Friday and while watching it work yesterday morning, I noticed it got stuck in the corners of the shallow end a few times, and then kept motoring down to the deep end and getting stuck there. Even the reverser would only pull it out for it to motor on down there again and stay there.

It did it again this morning so I pulled the tail sweep and watched it run....it zoomed back and forth like a champ.

So do I need to adjust the thrust jet or the sweep hose valve? I noticed it looked like the tail is much less active with the TSP attached...do I just need to crack open the hose sweep valve? Would this negate the "no wet windows" benefit in the first place?

Thanks!

P.S. I do understand that the TSP is reducing the thrust of the jet off the tail by allowing it to expand as well as striking a kind of diffuser.
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris 280 (with tail sweep pro) lives in the deep end...help!?

Sorry you have not gotten any quicker responses. I am not familiar with this cleaner, maybe someone else can help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

At the very rear in the center of the unit down low there is a little spout which shoots water out. It shoots rearward. Using your fingers try to move it around. It swivels up and down and left and right giving you 180' in 2 axes to play with. This steers it more or less.

4. Back To Top    #4

Put that rear port at 7 o'clock
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Interesting. Mine was at about 3:00.

8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

6. Back To Top    #6

For my 380 getting this spigot on the back set just right was sooo critical. It is REALLY sensitive. 0.1mm off and it isn't the same, so you just have to find that perfect point. If you can't move it, try harder but don't break it. Look closely and you can see where this "ball" mounts into the housing of the cleaner itself. It allows it to get a wide array of up/down/left/right motion.

7. Back To Top    #7

That movable jet on the back is referred to as the thrust jet. It should be snug, but able to move with normal hand/finger pressure. If it is too tight, loosen the two screws on each side of the thrust jet slightly.

If it is anything like my 360, you should be able to adjust the water flow to the tail sweep hose. On my 360 there is a bolt that acts as the "valve" for the tail sweep. If I open it up all the way the tail will move around a lot. Or I can close it completely and the tail will simply drag behind the cleaner. Does yours have a tail sweep adjustment?
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, I am familiar with both the tail sweep valve and the thrust jet. But how much of each is the question....

My 280 operated flawlessly until I put on the tail sweep pro. I have opened the tail valve to compensate and last night adjusted the thrust valve to about 7:00. Let's see what happens

Link to my Build

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
    Yes, I am familiar with both the tail sweep valve and the thrust jet. But how much of each is the question....

My 280 operated flawlessly until I put on the tail sweep pro. I have opened the tail valve to compensate and last night adjusted the thrust valve to about 7:00. Let's see what happens
    How did this pan out for you? I'm thinking about buying the tailsweep pro since I need a new scrubber anyway, but if it leads to problems like this and aren't fixable, I think I'm gonna pass...I see that some models of the tailsweep pro have been discontinued....
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

10. Back To Top    #10

It worked out very well. Took a few days of tweaking but pool is back to being clean and no window spraying!

Link to my Build

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks everyone for these replies. Just logged on with the same problem. Recently replaced the rear axle unit and the thrust jet must have been thrown off in the process. TFP rocks!
    39,000 gal 48 x 22 gunite/pebble, SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo
    Jandy Aqualink RS; Jandy 60 DE Filter
    Polaris 280 Black "Manta Baby"
    3 Jandy WaterColors LEDs