Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Snakes in the pool.... Problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Snakes in the pool.... Problem?

We live in North Texas, and the pool was a new build and finally we are enjoying the pool this month's after all the rain...... Anyhow, I have been catching 3 small snakes, 10 inches long, around the shady part of the infinity spa, the water channel portion. Is there a reason to be concerned? The snakes are in the water channels where the infinity spa flows into.... And I catch them when I just scoop the leaves and whatever inside of those channel. The water chemistry is good, and the pool is clear. Do I have a snake problems that needs attention?
    72' X 10' IG pool with infinity edge spa and in pool dry deck completed Nov 2014. Pentair 3 HP VS pump for pool and spa. Pentair Challenger 3 HP for three 3 feet sheer decent water features. Pentair MasterTemp Heater and QUAD D.E. Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Snakes in the pool.... Problem?

Do I have a snake problems that needs attention?
    Of course that all depends on what they look like? Got a pic?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If they are like the rattlesnake I had removed from my yard yesterday morning, that is a problem. If they are like the king snake we watched fighting with a bird yesterday afternoon, that is fine

The bird won btw and the snake retreated into the rocks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, here is the pic of the snake... After I smashed him....
    72' X 10' IG pool with infinity edge spa and in pool dry deck completed Nov 2014. Pentair 3 HP VS pump for pool and spa. Pentair Challenger 3 HP for three 3 feet sheer decent water features. Pentair MasterTemp Heater and QUAD D.E. Filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is a baby snake, the third one I caught...about 8 inches long...

6. Back To Top    #6

That is a non venomous snake. Release them away from the pool rather than killing them.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

7. Back To Top    #7

It got me scared because he was swimming to the big portion of the pool where children plays..... I did released the first two into the storm drain on the street.... Good to know that this is not venomous.... Anyone know why they keep getting into the pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

Has it been real hot there? Could be they are looking to cool off, or perhaps looking for food (many snakes eat frogs and such).

They are no threat to people.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

9. Back To Top    #9

Btw, there are 4 species of venomous snakes in the U.S; rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, and coral snakes. All but the coral snake have a distinct triangle shaped head. The coral snake has red,yellow, and black bands (there's a non venomous King snake that has these bands, but in a different order). As you can see, the snakes you have don't match any of those characteristics.

10. Back To Top    #10

There's a Neville Flynn joke to made somewhere around here, but I'm empty......
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks! I saw a picture on FB somewhere saying to watch out for water moccasin since we had a lot if rain here last month..... So I thought that was it.... But thank you for your clarifications! Feel better now and will put them back to the drain or the creek aways down the street if I get another one..

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by MARCO...polo View Post
    There's a Neville Flynn joke to made somewhere around here, but I'm empty......
    Snakes in a pool!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
    Snakes in a pool!!!
    Definitely non venomous. There's an awesome snake ID page on facebook for Texas. I'm going to assume that's a botched water snake. But I'm no pro! Join the group its called "what kind of snake is this? North texas"