High salt causes?

Jun 7, 2015
Nashville TN
We set up the pool a couple of weeks ago, added the proper amount of salt and everything went great until yesterday. The Intex set off the high salt warning. Where did more salt come from that would cause this if it'd not been high salt for weeks?? It's an EasySet pool 18'x4'.

I'm emptying a fifth of the pool and adding more fresh water. But if anything it seems the salt level would have gone down instead of going up. Anyone have this same problem??

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

My guess is the following:

You might have raised the salt level near the high salt limit when you added the salt, tdi_jim's explanation, and as the water has warmed up the SWG thinks you have a higher salt content than what it is. The SWG doesn't actually measure the salinity of the water, it measures the conductivity of the water and as the water warms up it is more conductive which has led to the high salt error.

Have you had the water tested for the salt content other than by the SWG?

The high salt warning went off after two weeks of basically doing nothing to the pool - so the conductivity thing seems plausible. Thanks. What's a good salinity test kit to get?

the pool place test came back showing Salt at 1900 or low from the 2500-3500 ppm range so I added more salt not quite the 40lbs suggested by them but probably a good 30 lbs and today low and behold the high salt warning sounded. The remedy for high salt is draining 1/5 of the water and refilling......guess I just need to get my own accurate salinity meter

I use the Taylor K-1766 test kit for salt, TFTestkits.net. It seems more accurate than the Aquachek strips but all of these tests are +-400ppm. I've had so so results with the Aquachek strips and after more than a year of having the K-1766 I would not get the strips again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thought it was weird that Leslie's Pools said the ideal range for CYA was 60-99 ppm and Pool and Spa Depot say the ideal range is 20-50 ppm.
What should it be and if I need to add some is there a generic CYA instead of the Conditioners branded product?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.