Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new in pool steps sand issue

1. Back To Top    #1

new in pool steps sand issue

i have , in its second year,a 24 foot doughboy, 52 inches deep above ground.i have the curve in pool step system.the directions told us to fill the Side walls with sand for weight.there are two plugged holes on each side chamber which we funnelled a bunch of sand into. the steps stayed down in the pool all year.however i started noticing small clusters of san in the bottom of the pool.this spring with the steps out i noticed there was a small open hole at the top of each sand chamber where i assume the sand was trickling out.i tried to flush out all the sand and just fill the chambers with water but the steps keep wanting to float up. can i use pea gravel in these chambers and if so how much do you suggest.can i fill the chambers with quickrete and mix with water to harden it.i can plug the two open holes so the gravel has no chance to get out.i just would like an altrnative to using sand. thank you ,paul

i wanted to post a pic of the steps but was unable to through your manage attachments link.i shrunk the jpeg down to 32 kb ,it appears to upload yet there is an exclaimation point next to the file and no thumbnail to put a checkmark in to select that image . there is just an old existing image that i can choose from an unrelated post .that image is 82 kb and it says i have up to 250kb so my new thumbnail shouldnt be to large a file.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new in pool steps sand issue

You can use photobucket to post pics. It works great.

Steps-if you fill them with concert will you be able to get them into and out of the pool?

Steps are the biggest algae hiders in an AGP so it is very important you can get them out to clean them. Some people make weights to hold them down with out of pvc pipe and cement.

I will wait for pics before saying what I think will work best.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You have no idea how heavy those are going to be to get out come closing. I got rid of the sand in mine because it still floated. I filled 6 bleach jugs with sand n water n attached with bungee cords.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    You have no idea how heavy those are going to be to get out come closing. I got rid of the sand in mine because it still floated. I filled 6 bleach jugs with sand n water n attached with bungee cords.
    Great reuse of bleach bottles
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

I use a 10 lb weight and a brick that I covered with plastic to prevent accidentally damaging the liner. The bleach bottle idea is also a good one but the steps came along after I stopped buying bleach.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

6. Back To Top    #6

This works so well for me. Steps don't float either.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

You could use any plastic jug like laundry detergent or such.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit