New Pool Build - Massachusetts

Neat start! Thanks for all of the pics! I loved the big truck getting help!

List your equipment here in the main body and ask for opinions. Believe me we do not mind helping you spend your money LOL!

Tell us how many gallons your pool will be in your siggy also. That will make a difference for size as well.

If you both want to post under one name that is fine as well. I know it can be a pain to sign in and out.

Kim

Equipment:
Pump is a Hayward Tri-Star 3/4 HP
Filter is a Hayward StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter, size 175
Heater is a Hayward Universal H-Series, Gas Fired 300,000 BTU/hour
Salt Generator is the Hayward Aqua Plus Base system

This info is from the Hayward Brochures and the sales contract. I have to admit, my eyes glaze over with that stuff.

I don't know how many gallons the pool is, can't find that number anywhere in the paperwork. I know PB said it would be 3 trucks worth of water.

No one I know has any cleaning equipment except the vacuum and net, and they have no complaints. We decided to skip on upgrades.

Same with the winter pool cover, although one of my friends is going to get an elephant cover this year. I have been meaning to look into that, but since she said that gets installed in the decking, which I can't do for a year anyway it has been on the back burner.

We are getting 2 of the Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 led lights. Not so much for the color changing feature, but I have really light sensitive eyes and I am hoping they won't be as harsh as the white lights.

We are having a water feature stubbed in, for a waterfall down the road.
And last, but not least, 4 deck jets as an indulgence for the kids.

I think that is it....

Paul put in our pool last year as well - we did Lagoon too! Just had the patio finished so will need to get some updated pictures up. What did you pick for a liner, that was so stressful for me!

Wow, I am impressed with the rocks they pulled out. We had some too, but a lot smaller. They brought in the right machinery to handle the dig! Good luck with the build. We are not done with ours yet... still a couple more weeks to go.. sigh.. Looking forward to the jumping rock placement. And yes, retaining walls are $$. We actually were lucky in that we could change out design to put in a reverse beam instead of a retaining wall.

Paul put in our pool last year as well - we did Lagoon too! Just had the patio finished so will need to get some updated pictures up. What did you pick for a liner, that was so stressful for me!

Nice! I want to see pictures, but still haven't figured out how to find pool builds by member name! We are going with a liner that is new this year. It is called gray granite. I was so tempted to go with the black granite, but two things stopped me. First, I was afraid it would be too dark some days. Second, I really want a solid blue, not teal or Aqua tones. That ruled out the brown tone liners. I wanted something that looks like a natural blue, not an electric blue. Based on what I read and pictures I saw, I think the liner will give a nice water color. I couldn't find a single picture of it installed in a pool with water, just swatches. I bit the bullet, decided to be brave. Choosing the liner was a hard decision for me too.

- - - Updated - - -

poolnorthernva,
What is a reverse beam? not that we will be undoing our recent "landscaping", but out of curiosity.

I have a question about deck jets. I talked to the PB today about running 4 lines, not a single loop. I read somewhere that gives flexibility for which jets are on, and setting how high they go. He looked at me like I had 10 heads and couldn't understand why I wanted 4 valves instead of just one. We plan to have one on each side of the deep end, hopefully to create a diving tunnel or target in the middle, and one on either side of the tanning ledge, aimed at the middle of the shallow end. It seems like it would be nice to be able to turn the ones in the shallow end off if there are lounging adults, or toddlers in the shallow end, while leaving the deep end ones on for the older kids.

He said he could do it, but couldn't understand why anyone would want to. Makes me wonder if it is a bad idea, any thoughts are appreciated.

One thought on multi valves, will it allow you to force more circulation in one area of the pool over another?

- - - Updated - - -

poolnorthernva,
What is a reverse beam? not that we will be undoing our recent "landscaping", but out of curiosity.

Using it fit our yard slope which was minor. It is used with gunite pools. Rather than a retaining wall on the upside of the hill, we built at the higher level and replaced the slope difference with an 18 inch pool wall on the down slope. I don't have a good picture showing it - build link is in my signature -. I'll be updating more this weekend and will try to put a picture in that shows it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a time lapse video of the walls being assembled. There is no difference between the three versions other than how fast they play.

(The full screen buttons don't work for me, but clicking the YouTube button and then clicking full screen does)

Short (1.5 minutes)

Medium (3 minutes)

Long (6 minutes)

That was fun! How long did it take in real life? What will be on the outside of the walls? What is next for your build?

Kim

That's about 3 hours of video. The sun deck, stairs, and benches will all be filled with concrete and there will be a concrete skirt around the outside of the walls. Then they'll backfill everything with gravel. Next year, after the new ground level has had a chance to settle, we'll have concrete decking put in around the pool. Although Ascew is toying with the idea of using concrete pavers instead. Anyone have any thoughts?

What's next? I'm not sure, Ascew could answer better. I know this morning they're wiping out our garden and putting in a ramp for gravel truck.

Here's a shot from downhill. All the ground on this side of the pool and to the left is new. The deep end of the pool is sitting in what used to be the lowest part of our lawn, which was below the point where I was standing when I took this photo.

Last edited:
Hey all,
Today wasn’t the best of days. Yesterday, at the end of the day I talked to the PB and he said they would be back Thursday to grade the slope from the driveway to the pool, so the truck could pull right up to dump the back fill. I knew this was coming, so I have been frantically pulling out the columbines, iris, chamomile, oregano, and some very cute little white flower that I have no clue what it is, and transplanting them into every container I can find. Anyway, my plan was to dig out the roses, and a couple more columbines this afternoon. At about 7:30 this morning I heard heavy machinery, looked out the window, and the bobcat had taken a first pass, I ran out the door across the deck to the stairs, turned the corner and realized it was too late. Not a good way to start the morning. (Sigh)

Anyway, since no work was supposed to be happening today, I had planned to do some errands. I spoke briefly with the crew and they said that they were filling today, but that the concrete pours were still planned for Thursday and Friday. So off I went, unhappy, since I like to watch what is going on.

When I got back home at noon, the back filling was half done, and no one was around. I figured they might be off to lunch and thought nothing of it. They did come back, but were reinforcing the sun deck, not filling. The bobcat couldn’t make it around the corner, so they are going to use a different type of concrete for that side. Something drier, that can be shoveled on, not poured. Not sure how I feel about that, but I am not a concrete expert, and Paul has an excellent reputation, so……let it go.

Paul stopped by later in the afternoon. He told me that two concrete deliveries were coming in the morning, one for outside the pool and one quick pour for the sun deck, at 8:00 am. His crew would be here at 7:00 though to swap out one of the wall panels, it was the wrong one and didn’t have the hole for the pool light. I then mentioned “lights, we are getting two, one in the deep end, one in the shallow end”. He looked at me, at the pool, and asked if I was sure. Then said that we couldn’t have one in the shallow end, since the panel where the light would go had the second skimmer. As a work around, he offered to put 2 spa lights in the sun deck area instead. I thought that was fair enough, and went inside to start dinner. Then, I started wondering how bright they are, and would the light reach to the stairs. I started looking online, and at the brochures and can’t find a single thing to help me figure it out.

I am pretty sure tomorrow will be better than today, but if anyone has any thoughts on the lights that would help.

I am guessing that is why he offered two. So there would be enough light.

If it is not light enough you can always put a pretty pole light outside by the steps so that is comes on when you turn on the pool lights.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.