Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to open pool that has anti freeze !

1. Back To Top    #1

how to open pool that has anti freeze !

Can I set the filter to waste with the Jets still blocked? Or will that damage something?

If I unblock jets will the antifreeze go into the pool even if the pump is off?
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: how to open pool that has anti freeze !

Don't act on this advice until you hear from someone with experience......not us "good ole' boys" in the south who think antifreeze is an older relative.

I believe you will be able to start your pool as normal and allow the antifreeze to be consumed by the chlorine in your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

how to open pool that has anti freeze !

I just took the plugs out of the skimmers and returns and started everything up. The antifreeze goes away pretty quick. You can use a shop vac to suck the antifreeze out of the lines from the pump pad while someone else takes the plugs out of the lines if you want. You can set the multiport to waste and pump out the antifreeze in the skimmer and main drain. As I said I didn't, and I think most people just let it go back into the pool. The chlorine breaks it down pretty quick, so it really isn't an issue.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Swimming pool antifreeze is Propylene glycol. It's made to be safe for potable water systems. Don't worry about some getting in the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Alright I ll run in waste any way first
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water