After becoming extremely frustrated with the local pool store (got sold on the phosphate issue) I purchased the TF-100 test kit and decided to educate myself. It arrived in the mail and the morning I was going to test my water one of our landscapers crew dropped a wheelbarrow full of topsoil in our pool! We have spent the last 3 days vacuuming to waste and filtering/backwashing. We are now able to see the bottom slightly so I decided to use my test kit.
Here are my readings...
FC 24 ppm
CC 1.5 ppm
After opening our pool this season we were not able to keep chlorine in our pool and were sold on the phosphate issue.. (I now believe it was due to low stabilizer) So we added chlorine per pool store instructions. After retesting we were told our level was at 10 ppm 2 weeks ago. We thought after our landscaping incident and backwashing so often we would be severely low on chlorine so we added more last night. Now my reading is off the chart high! We will be continuing to backwash as we deal with this problem and so hoping it will go down.
Should I turn off or turn down my swg so it's not making more chlorine?
Should I add the muriatic acid per pool math even though we will be losing some of it with future backwashing??