Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand New Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand New Pool

We have not bought the test kit yet but will order tomorrow TF kit.
    Are there any baseline things that we need to start off right.
    I know from past INTEX use that the PH will be sky high
    21' NEW YORKER II 54" DEEP AGP Private Label MORADA RTR WILBAR Aluminum wall
    Hard Bottom and 1/4" Floor Pad 1/8" Wall Foam Well Water Perma 2500 Unibead liner King Technology Pool Chlorine Feeder HAYWARD Diver Dave cleaner
    Waterway 22″ Sand Filter 1.5 HP Center Discharge Pump Single speed Wide Mouth skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand New Pool

It kind of depends. If TA is below 50 do TA first, Then If PH is completely out of range fix that, unless FC is above 10 in which case you ignore it. Then FC, then PH, CYA, then TA, then CH.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you know your PH will be high from your fill water go ahead and buy some muratic acid.

Here is a little reading for you to help you know what to do from the start.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

When you get your test kit test and post the results here and we can go from there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How should the acid be added?
    Diluted or poured straight from the jug.
    How much can be added at a time.

5. Back To Top    #5

You can pour it very gently n slowly from the jug with the wind blowing at your back so it's not blowing fumes in your face. Use PoolMath to determine how much to add.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

But don't add anything until your test kit arrives! Your test kit will give you accurate results, and you can use PoolMath to determine what to do.
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex

7. Back To Top    #7

Just finalized the fill yesterday and currently there is only the water from the faucet in there.
    Should anything be added or filter be running before testing can begin
    Last edited by giltyler; 06-09-2015 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Spelling

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi giltyler, we can figure out how much chlorine to add at least until your test kit comes: according to poolmath a 21 ft round pool 54 inches deep holds 11700 gallons, so we'll plug that in at the top. since you have fresh water you have no CYA (stabilizer) so to go from 0 to 3 ppm chlorine, as per chlorine/cya chart, you will need 52 oz of 8.2% bleach. so start with that, but the sun will burn it off quickly as you have no CYA stabilizer yet. Poolmath says to get to 30 CYA you need 47 oz (just under 3 lbs). Once you have added the stabilizer (can get from walmart) your target level will be 4ppm chlorine. You can also get the cheap chlorine/pH test kit from walmart to check your chlorine up to 5ppm and pH until your big-boy test kit arrives.
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

TF100 and Extras ordered
    Added 55 ounces of concentrated Chlorox last night and again this evening.
    In DFW area so very sunny and in the 90s
    Also my brand new Chlorinator has a leak and the merchant offered up a call tag to replace or refund so looking for suggestions.
    I ordered this PERFORM-MAX Pool Chemical Feeder | King Technology King Technology Sani King feeder thinking how nice it would be not to mess with adding chlorine all the time and later learned of the CYA issues
    Last edited by giltyler; 06-09-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: update

10. Back To Top    #10

I do have to say that those feeders do have a place IF you know what the pucks do (add CYA). They are good to have when you go out of town. When you do not need it just let it sit empty.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Due to Postal error I will likely not have my test kit until early next week.
    Should I keep adding bleach.
    Also the PH is known very high should I do a gallon of MA from last summer

12. Back To Top    #12

That is up to you. Have you seen any clearing at all? I would not mess with the PH due to maybe having high FC. Any thing over a 10 for FC will mess up your PH reading.

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

No clearing needed since it is just filled last Sunday
    I have added 1.5 gallons of bleach over the past week since we have had full sun and temperature in the 90s
    I will grab a cheap kit since the TF100 got delayed
    I will get 2 more gallons of MA and some stabilizer as well.

14. Back To Top    #14

Gityler, I would also add that as incredibly hot as it's been here in Texas, and with your CYA unknown and/or still possibly quite low waiting to increase, that you remain consistent with at least 1/2 gallon of bleach per day in that new water - possibly even 1 gallon depending on what your temporary test kit shows. I'm pretty sure any new bleach (FC) you're adding is getting tore-up and eliminated by the sun. We just want to "try" and avoid a major algae bloom before your kit gets here is possible.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!