Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: foamy water

1. Back To Top    #1

foamy water

Hi everyone. I'm new here so I'm excited for all the help thst I've seen in the other posts. I'm having a foaming issue on top of my water. Let me first tell you that I had an issue a few days ago and had very little chlorine in my pool. I solved that with about 7 bottles of Chlorox over a 24 hr period. I do not use any algicide. Any idea what is causing the foaming? Here are my other readings.
    Fc- 4
    Cc- 0.2
    Ph- 7.4
    Ta- 140
    Cya- 90
    Ch- 110
    Salt- 3400
    Borates- 30

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: foamy water

Welcome to TFP!

Could one of the bottles of bleach been EZ Pour or,some other variant? Those "special" bleaches can cause foaming.

Looking at your other numbers, your CYA is high, thus causing the 4 FC to be too low.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi and thanks. No it wasn't an easy pour. Would the high ta be causing it?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

No. Ta can run actually higher without harm. Foaminess is most always the sign of an unwanted additive. The cure is chlorine. It may take some time but elevate you chlorine to twice it's normal value and hold it there until the foam is gone.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School