Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To much clorine!

1. Back To Top    #1

spruce pine nc

To much clorine!

Ok! I am using Clorox Smart Strips to test my chemicals and everything is fine except for Total Chlorine and Free Chlorine! They are WAY high! What do I do?
    Intex 22 x 52 ultraframe above ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Shallotte, NC

Re: To much clorine!

First, and most important, throw away the Clorox Smart Strips. Get a good test kit as described here: TEST KITS

Get some reliable numbers and then we can advise.... bottom line is that none of the strips or quicky tests are accurate enough to depend on.

Basically, though, if your TC is way too high, you are adding too much. The problem is, do we believe that is true, due to the limitations of your current testing? Thus, it is impossible to advise without knowing what is really going on....

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: To much clorine!

Yes, ditch those strips.

Second: compare your readings to the FC/CYA chart. Are you still too high on chlorine? If you're not above shock level for your CYA, you're not too high to swim in the water.

Otherwise, don't add any more chlorine, or turn off the saltwater generator and be patient. Sunlight will rid you of the excess in a few hours.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!