So, our 16x30 IG pool was just installed end of July 2014. This year when we opened it on May 5th, the water looked great - could've swam in it (at least it looked that way). However, we have fought all season to keep chlorine in the pool. The pool store/pool installer tested for and said "phosphates." We did an abbreviated version Phos-Free treatment (long story ... ), had water re-tested by pool store and said "no phosphates - add 5# shock." Next morning, NO CHLORINE. Had water re-tested, again "phosphates." We've crippled along here adding shock just to keep some chlorine in the pool and not grow a whole lot of other stuff. The CYA had gone from 60 down to 30, then down to 15. So, we backwashed everything, even pulling the filter apart and washing everything off and added 8# CYA on 5/29. Per store recommendation, added 2# shock and had water re-tested because chlorine still wasn't holding. Same story ... "phosphates. You're going to have to do another Phos-Free treatment, but this time we'll just have you add 1/2 the bottle." They know my frustration with this Phos-Free process because I don't have the time to sit around and babysit a pump when the pressure gets too high --> can't bump the filter --> not getting adequate circulation --> might as well not even do the treatment. Plus, we were going to be away for 3 days, so we postponed that process until --maybe-- this weekend coming up (6/13-14). In the meantime, I figured my test kit would come in the mail. While we were away, my SIL added 2# TKO shock (calcium hypochlorite 73%, other ingredients 27%, free chlorine 70%) to the pool everyday. Maybe a little overboard, but it was the only way I could keep my sanity from afar knowing there wasn't stuff growing in the pool - hopefully.
Before I posted for the first time, I wanted to get a TF-100 kit so I could be on the same page with everyone else. So, these were the results of my first testing run and this was after 3 days of 2# TKO shock.
CYA: 60 (may be a little off -- over shot the reagent)
I was hoping we were finished with the high amounts of chlorine and I could prove the pool store incorrect about the phosphates. However, here are some results from this morning.
CYA: ~70 (re-did since I messed this up yesterday)
I know my CYA is too high to SLAM because I'd need such large amounts/high FC. I attribute the high CH from the TKO shock that was added 3 days in a row.
I need help ... the lack of chlorine in the pool has been a bane in my side all season, so far. We removed 72 tri-axles of dirt to put the pool in ... I've threatened more than once to go bring them all back and fill the thing in and chalk it up to a VERY expensive learning experience.