SWG bonding

y51

Jun 27, 2011
Illinois
Hello everybody,

I am installing the AquaTrol SWG and suppose to connect it to the pool bonding system.
I have found that I don't have one.
I am in Illinois. My pool has aluminum wall and vinyl liner. Three years ago, the installer did not make the loop around the pool and did not make any grounding. The only protection I have is GFCI.
Now, with the salt water that is more conductive, will I put my family at risk?
Please advise.
Thank you very much,

Are you sure there is no bonding at all? If you look at your pump there should be a terminal on the outside of the motor housing and it should have a #8 AWG solid copper wire connected to it which might be bare copper or covered in a green jacket. You could use a listed compression connector to tie your bond to the SWG panel to the pool bonding the pool builder should have installed. Do not disconnect the bonding wire from the pool pump motor or other equipment.

Thank you jblizzle and dloki,
Yes, my pump has the bonding lug that is not connected to anything.
I understand that I have to fix this.
I assume that the bonding loop has to be connected to 3 uprights (galvanized steel) evenly spaced around the pool perimeter.
I have a couple questions:
1. Do I need to make connections to the aluminum wall and how? It is covered by non-conductive paint or plastic and does not have electrical contact with uprights.
2. Does the #8 solid wire need to be buried 4-6" into ground? It has to provide the equal potential and it will do this regardless of been buried or just laying on the gravel that I have around the pool. Maybe this #8 conductor serves as the ground?
Thank you for your time,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.