Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winterizing the SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

South Jersey

Winterizing the SWG?

My pool builder closed/winterized my pool this year since they completed my pool last month. The only thing they did to the SWG was drain it and shut off the power. Is it ok to leave the SWG out at the equipment pad all winter long? Any negative impacts? Thanks.
    - Ben

24,000 gal; Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter; 16x36 rect vinyl IG; 3 to 8 ft; 1.5 hp Whisperflo 2 sp pump; IC40 SWG; Legend Platinum pressure side cleaner (w/booster pump), concrete cantilever edge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winterizing the SWG?

i was wondering the same thing. I ended up removing the cell and replaced it with a staight pipe during the winter. I was worried some water would sit in there and freeze...somehow breaking something. I figured better safe then sorry. I opened the pool myself and put it back in place. Everything worked fine.
    2008 23K IG Liner, Pentair intellipump vf, 48DE filter, Heatpump, SWC, aquabot turbo T, K2006 Testkit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Winterizing the SWG?

Yes, it is fine to leave a SWG out all winter. The plumbing should be drained and if the control panel/transformer is exposed to the weather it is good to wrap it up in a plastic bag.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School