Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where Can I Get A 2.5 Inch Backflush Hose?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where Can I Get A 2.5 Inch Backflush Hose?

My Pentair 2000 DE filter has a 2.5 inch OD pipe outlet for back flushing. I have only found 1.5 and 2 inch hoses. Where can I find a 2.5" hose?
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where Can I Get A 2.5 Inch Backflush Hose?

Your filter's waste port is probably dual diameter, 2" ID, 2" OD. Glue a threaded bushing in it and screw in a hose fitting. That's how mine is set up.

Shop LASCO 2-in Dia x 1-1/2-in Dia PVC Sch 40 Bushing at Lowes.com
    Shop Aqua EZ Hose Adapter at Lowes.com
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Richard, you hit the nail on the head with the size of my fitting. Thanks for the all the part numbers. That's perfect. I'll head over to Lowe's for the parts as soon as I can.

I'm still scratching my head as to how the previous owner's pool person backwashed the filter. If he left it with no hose, it appears the backwash water would drain right into the pool!
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

4. Back To Top    #4

My suggestion is to get an old fire hose off ebay, you can often find ones that are past their certification date (15-20 years I think) that spent their entire lives in a fire cabinet never being used for under $50, sometimes under $20. They are far more robust than the not so cheap flimsy blue hoses.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    My suggestion is to get an old fire hose off ebay, you can often find ones that are past their certification date (15-20 years I think) that spent their entire lives in a fire cabinet never being used for under $50, sometimes under $20. They are far more robust than the not so cheap flimsy blue hoses.
    Thanks for the idea Isaac. How would you connect a fire hose to the filter?
    Michael

6. Back To Top    #6

They make fittings to go from pipe thread to a fire hose fitting. Probably be as much as the hose since they are brass. Just cut the end off and use a hose clamp like the regular backwash hose.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

The adapters are fairly reasonable ($15-$25 for most on ebay, search NPT NST), the only issue is there is more than one standard of fire hose fittings, although the most common is NST (same as NH) which is National Thread, there are others you may find particularly in older hoses as some major cities kept their legacy non standard connectors for a VERY long time, some like NYC of CH may still have the legacy hoses, I am not sure. Or course there is also the alternative of removing / cutting off the connector and just attaching it with a host clamp.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, guys!
    Michael