Anyone do their spa surface different from the pool?

Jaimslaw

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
San Diego, CA
I am about to have a replaster for my pool/spa. For budget reasons, I will be going with a med grey Quartzscape for the pool. But I can stretch my budget a little to have the spa surface upgraded to, say a pebble or ???. Has anyone else done this? I'm thinking it might be cool to have the spa get a higher end look. But is this going to be odd looking or perhaps unorthodox, visually? I will want to match the color of pool and spa as close as possible, but still wonder if this is sorta taboo, if you know what I mean. (Spa/pool combo configuration somewhat conventional: spa is elevated and spills over into pool - pool is somewhat "behind" the spa. So spa is the first thing you see coming out the back door). Cheers.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I'm in the process of building a pool and spa. I felt just like you in that I wanted to dress up our spa a little - add some bling.

So we've added glass tile to the spa waterline but not to the waterline of the main pool. Budget reasons gave me the idea.

Now, I know that you want to dress up your spa by way of the surface finish. I think that's a great idea! I'm new here, so some others might know better. But I don't know why you couldn't do 2 different surfaces as long as you can work it out with your plaster company.

I have a couple of options you may have already thought about:

* Go with 2 different colors. It might be hard to match, and if you did.... Well, the spa might not stand out like you want.

* If you use a Pebble Tec finish for the spa, add the Shimmering Sea (abalone shells) for extra sparkle and razzle dazzle. The people who have that, love it. Other brands might have something similar.

Glad you're here! It's going to be fun to see what you do! Don't forget - we love pictures! Lots and lots. Take care! Suz.

* Go with 2 different colors. It might be hard to match, and if you did.... Well, the spa might not stand out like you want.
I agree with going with different/complementary colors versus trying to match. Often colors that are too close look odd (like you tried to match but didn't quite get it right) whereas complementary colors can add a whole new dimension. I have seen several here where two colors were used, specifically on sun shelves but the same concept applies. May not be the easiest to find them but they are here.

We have same setup. Raised spa, pool behind and we indeed did pebble in the spa and on the du shelf. Pool itself is plaster. Some reasons though we're that the spa and sun shelf had to be a little more sturdy. Thought was they get more abuse. People sitting etc and the sun shelf with chairs and lounging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPADiver: I love your input about the spa which had the black pebble sheen and the blue pebble sheen in the pool. These bring up so good food for thought - now I'm thinking about doing the same! (I hope you don't mind, but I'm giving my PB your name and number since you gave me the idea. He can yell at you.... He's going to KILL me with another change!!!! No, don't worry, I won't do that, but my PB might really kill me! Oh noooooooooooo!)

1. The blacks or very dark blues are so dramatic and elegant - perfect for dressing up a spa. Be sure to add the Shimmering Sea for the added sparkle which I've heard shows well with the darker finishes.

2. Since the spa doesn't have the depth of the main pool, to me the darker pebble would be perfect in a spa (I just can't get used to a pool looking so dark). There certainly wouldn't be any issues over seeing the bottom in the spa.

3. The darker pebble would also (I think, others may correct me) make the spa a bit warmer - which is usually what people want in their spa.

I think TPA has really given you a great idea!!!!

Bongardjm: You have a beautiful pool and spa. I love the shape of both and your choice of stone work! Very elegant and a design for fun.

You've made a great point about durability concerns..... Use the more durable surface finish in the high traffic areas! Makes great sense to me - unfortunately, I don't always think of those things. But.... that's why I'm here.

Jaimslaw: You've already received some great ideas. I can't wait to hear more! (Could you guys out there please hurry up, because I have very little time before I plaster! I gotta make those changes, soon, soon, soon!) Take care. Suz.

We are doing the wetedge pebble finish. The main pool will get the prism matrix plaster. For the spa I'm considering their primera stone finish with added glass beads to match the prism matrix. The primera stone is similar to the pebble finish except after application it gets polished. Their rep told me it's the ultimate smooth finish. The smooth finish will make it more comfortable to sit in and won't tear up pricey bikini bottoms.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious if there are quantifiable temperature differences between plaster colors...

Thanks all for your replies, and those pics look awesome.

i am familiar with the cardinal sin of having two colors of the same family slightly off from one another. Gives the appearance of a bad paint mix or a similar error in materials. But I'm hoping I can do something without going the contrasting color route. I gues this will decision will be made base upon the PB's comfort zone and willingness to convince me that he is familiar enough with the color pallets of the various surfaces to make the call (or to rule out this as being feasible, ie, getting the two different surfaces to come close to one another).

I know it ultimately falls on me as to what it turns out looking like. But I hold out some hope that the PB can show me samples of two different surface materials that come close enough that it won't end up violating the cardinal sin referred to above. Since I am going with a medium grey for the pool color, I am hoping that might favor a closer match. Then again, maybe not.

i'll be meeting up with 5 different companies for estimates this week and will give feed back to you all after I run this by all five of the PBs.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.