Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to TFP after owning a pool for 23 years!

1. Back To Top    #1

New to TFP after owning a pool for 23 years!

Yep, I'm old! Just read the intro article and excited about simplifying my pool care even more! Are you REALLY saying to use regular household bleach?? Haven't really studied the charts etc yet as I have a Big Issue. Just put a new vinyl liner in last fall, bought water and closed a crystal clear pool. Used chlorine and algaecide. Winter cover is the kind with a mesh center panel. Opened to the biggest mess ever. Added some chlorine and began filtering. There is a thick layer of brown gunk and my filter which is a DE filter with grids not fingers. Is there a secret to not having to clean than non stop until I get this silt out? I have a pole vac and a Baracuda. With the grids there is no way to "bump" and recirculate the DE (that I know of ....or is there???) and backwashing doesn't seem to help much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. So excited to get this mess resolved and try my NEW heat pump that I have wanted for TWENTY FIVE years and finally got!
    Last edited by Traveljoan; 06-06-2015 at 09:17 PM. Reason: didn't add signature
    Traveljoan
    20 x 40 inground - vinyl lined pool, Nautilus NS DE filter (grids not fingers),Heat pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to TFP after owning a pool for 23 years!

You're not old...your just experienced. Me too. Welcome to TFP! YEP! Bleach is the primary method of chlorinating your pool in TFP. Virtually no side effects or bad by-products. We'll be glad to help you any way we can. Two quick things first please:
    1 - Do you have one of the recommended test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K2006)?
    2 - Can you please add your pool information to your signature by going to the Home Page, Settings, then on the left "Edit Signature".

That will help us a bunch. If you do have a test kit listed above, please post some results. Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Are you REALLY saying to use regular household bleach??
    Yes. Despite how it's marketed, regular household bleach is a form of chlorine - sodium hypochlorite. Unless you have a SWG pool, regular unscented household bleach without any thickeners added is what we use for chlorine on an ongoing basis. I have found that swimsuits, goggles, and vacuum hoses last longer using our methods which includes liquid bleach for chlorine.

As for all that gunk...you need to get that out. I would try vacuuming to waste (if you have that option) to speed this up. That will stir up debris and, yes, you will need to clean your filter more often until you get all that stuff out. I would make this Job One right now. In the evening, after you've had enough of that, I would order one of the Recommended Test Kits.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome

Do you have a multiport valve or your filter?

Is it an above ground pool?

There are ways to remove sludge and spare the grids, but we just don't know enough to tell you if you can and how.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

New to posting on any forums and don't see how to add mt signature

6. Back To Top    #6

On the first (main) Home Page, look at the top for "Settings" (just under the pool school button), then when the next page pops-up, look to the left side of the page for "Edit Signature".
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Go all the way up on any page. Look on the right for the word settings. Click on it. Then look to the left side of the settings page. You should see something that mentions "My Setting" Under that will be Signature and edit
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Can't figure out how to add my signature! DUH! In ground 20 x 40, multiport DE, think it is a Pentair. Never tried to vacuum to waste as I figure it would empty all the water!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

did you try the things we suggested? What did you get when you tried?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

OK thanks for signature help everyone!!
    Traveljoan
    20 x 40 inground - vinyl lined pool, Nautilus NS DE filter (grids not fingers),Heat pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

You will lose water when you vacuum to waste, no doubt. But it's not as bad as you think. Set the vacuum up and get it going before you stop and switch to waste. The vacuum really restricts the flow, so it's not like you're pumping full blast. Add a couple inches first and go to it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Richard320! Didn't think about the vacuum removing less water! Will try this in the morning! Many thanks!
    Traveljoan