Replacing the motor shaft seal on my Pentair Superflo

Apr 25, 2012
Hi! I found a leak under my pump today (while I'm nearing the end of SLAMming my pool for algae) and I'm pretty sure it's the motor shaft seal that needs to be replaced. I've ordered new parts, but I need to know if I'm supposed to lubricate anything when I put it on. I actually wiped off the shaft itself after I took the old seal off (may have been a mistake?). Can someone help me out? Also, if I need to lube it, what lube should I use and/or what will work in a pinch?

Thanks!

The only lube you should put on a seal is the lube they send with the seal but ONLY on the rubber part that seats into the motor mounting plate. It helps to seat the seal. But DO NOT lube the ceramic or carbon seal faces. Those need to be clean and pristine.

What if it didn't come with any lube? Is there something I can go buy at Home Depot or Lowe's?

EDIT: Or Walmart or anywhere really... the instructions on the seal said not to use any silicone based lubricants. It recommended using Sealube (water-based) so I'm wondering if/where I can just find another water-based lubricant made for rubber and use that. Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.