Need advice on buying winter cover

Jenson

LifeTime Supporter
May 6, 2008
Argyle, WI
Hey guys, first time closer here. I need to get my pool closed up soon, as I saw ice on the top this morning, guess it's below 60 degrrees :shock: I have a 24' "inground-above ground" pool. They put silo staves for walls, installed a vinyl liner, and poured a cement patio on top of the staves about 2/3 of the way around the pool. Then I have some steps down to the pump and filter.

My questions:

A. Where should I get my pool cover (pool supply company website or magazine?)

B. I'll probably need water bags right, for the patio part?

C. A certain brand I need to buy. I live in WI and we get a fair amount of snow here about 30" a year or so.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You'll get a response from those who cover and those who don't. Either a mess on top of the cover or in the pool, take your pick. The main thing is the ice - so follow the procedure for winterization so you don't damage your skimmer, return or plumbing, namely blow out the lines and if you plan to bring your pump indoors, etc., and drain below the return.

I myself buy the cheapy round cover, like $40, and I usually replace it each year. I don't like the hassle of cleaning it before storing it away. But I'm particularly lazy about that. So if you don't mind cleaning it, you can pay for an upgraded one and hope to get extra year or two use out of it. You will probably need water bags, it's hard to picture from your description.

I don't think the amount of snow makes a difference for the type/brand of cover. I had the cheapy cover last year and we had at least that much snow and then some.

I think you'll have to buy from a website/catalog as local pool stores have moved on to their Christmas inventory, if you have such a store by you.

I would try to find a site that offers free shipping with like $50 purchase or something. It may take a while to get it shipped out so I would go ahead and do everything else to protect your plumbing.

Do you have a Great Escape near you...They have a small pool supply out all year round...as I bought my pool last January and I too have covered and winterized for the first time...Leslie's Pool Supplies also has online ordering...as does the great escape...or you can just google pool supplies...and you will get a ton of discount pool supplies...

Do you have the ability to cover the pool all the way around or does the patio go right up to the pool edge...That will determine the type of cover you get. Also i don't use bags...I use empty chlorine jugs or milk jugs filled about half way with water and tied to the rails of my pool...This keeps the cover from blowing even in 50 mph winds that we had the weekend before last...

If you are covering around and over the top rail of pool, I suggest getting clips to hold the cover down...

Ok, so after a bit of research, I'm thinking I would like to find a mesh cover. But it will have to be one for an in-ground pool. The cement patio sits directly on top of the silo staves, and it's about 6" thick, so in is more like an in-ground pool. Then there is about 15 feet of deck boards that continue around where the patio ends. There is only about a 10' stretch of wall that an above ground cover would even fit on.

So next problem, does anyone know where I can find a 24' circle in-ground cover? I've been trying to find in-ground covers and they're all rectangular.

Thanks!

I have a feeling your going to have to use an AG cover. On the end where the wall is exposed, you can bungee the cover to the ground with stakes, and then the area where the patio/deck area is, you can use the water bags or another poster on here used leftover landscape bricks to weigh the cover down where their deck is up against the pool wall and there is no way to get the cover under/in between. So in their case they didn't use the cable, and the same technique would apply to your pool, figure out a way to secure it without the cable. You'll have to figure out what works for your unique situation. I've never seen a round in-ground pool so I'd be surprised if you find a cover special for it. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.