How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

Jun 11, 2013
Seattle, WA
Just bought our second intex and while putting it up realized it was a little different - In order to comply with the Virginia Graeme Baker Act it has 3 holes for the filter system. 2 outlets and 1 inlet. The pump remains the same (with a single inlet and outlet) and you just fork the outlet hose in to 2.

No worries putting it together but just realized that when I have to vacuum the pool it will be interesting. Even with the old single outlet, suction was barely usable for the vacuum system. With the reduced suction coming from either of the 2 holes I'm guessing hooking up the vacuum will be futile.

Has anyone else got one of the intex pools with the 3 holes? If so, what are you doing for vacuum?

couldn't you just block one of the "outlets"(suction port) or valve one of them off ,just for vacuuming purposes.Did they perchance provide you with a t'd adapter(2 into 1) for vacuuming?

Think Large sink stopper,rubber kind.Off white color,sometimes comes with small chain attached.

it should come with a black rubber cap. i used that to cap off one suction outlet and connect other to vacuum and it works fine, actually better than expected. Let me know if you know what im talking about, if not i can take pics since ill be vacuming tomorrow

it should come with a black rubber cap. i used that to cap off one suction outlet and connect other to vacuum and it works fine, actually better than expected. Let me know if you know what im talking about, if not i can take pics since ill be vacuming tomorrow
Yah can you get a pic? Are you talking about those little black rubber things that look like hats?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I too am having issues. For one thing my adapters for skimmer and vac don't fit the inlets. Another thing is my vac didn't come with a skimmer vac body that goes inside the skimmer so I guess it doesn't need one.

I bought my pool from vminnivations. Only thing I know go do is contact them and see if they can help me find the proper vac and skimmer models for this pool.

I'm confused and frustrated. I'm thinking it would be better just to get one if those auto vacs or a battery operated vac and that new skim around auto floating skimmer. Seems like it would save a lot of hassle.

Here is how I dealt with the dual suction port issue regarding vaccuming. I got rid of the hokey hose setup and installed hard pipe with valves to give me total control over suction/water supply to the pump. BTW, those are inlets supplying the pump/filter. There is one single outlet/return

Here is how I dealt with the dual suction port issue regarding vaccuming. I got rid of the hokey hose setup and installed hard pipe with valves to give me total control over suction/water supply to the pump. BTW, those are inlets supplying the pump/filter. There is one single outlet/return

So does the skimmer go into the inlet(suction) or the return jet? Just kinda confused cuz I have it connected to suction and its doing nothing. Yesterday I had it connected to the return and the water flowing to the pool caused the skimmer and housing to float out of the unit.

The skimmer is connected to one of the suction ports. You can see the other suction port in the top of the 4th photo that has nothing attached. The blue strainer basket nozzle screws onto the intake strainer inside the pool. BTW that 1-1/4" pvc pipe elbow press fits onto the blue strainer nozzle.

- - - Updated - - -

you will probably need at least a valve on the bare return jet nozzle as the water will try to take the path of least resistance, making the basket somewhate innefective. Using the valve you can adjust how much water the other intake can take in.

The skimmer is connected to one of the suction ports. You can see the other suction port in the top of the 4th photo that has nothing attached. The blue strainer basket nozzle screws onto the intake strainer inside the pool. BTW that 1-1/4" pvc pipe elbow press fits onto the blue strainer nozzle.

- - - Updated - - -

you will probably need at least a valve on the bare return jet nozzle as the water will try to take the path of least resistance, making the basket somewhate innefective. Using the valve you can adjust how much water the other intake can take in.
So you mean slightly shut the return valve?

Yah I put the skimmer in one of the 2 intakes last night and it did nothing.

Sorry about all the questions I'm just trying to make sure I understand. When I ordered this I thought I was getting one of the older pools with just the usual 2 holes to connect pump. When we were setting up and I saw 3 I was like ...uh.. So.

I also don't like the setup. The valve for the 2 hangs down. I put a container with bricks to keep it from hanging. They need to make 2 separate valves for each suction,/intake.
792b15b0b454b79982dbb66bf685c7ca.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For the way it is set up now, you'll have to open the valve completely at the tee becasue the intex pool only has a valve at the Tee. This is why I plumbed mine with a valve at each of the two supply's. Make sure the valve is open all of the way. You might place your hand over the non-skimmer supply to see if it makes the skimmer basket function better. I have to close off my non-skimmer valve about 60-70% to get the basket to work adequately. When running, can you see water moving through the pump basket that is located right in front of the pump?

I thought I was getting one of the older pools also until we got it home.

The dual is better, once I got it arranged the way I wanted it. With my setup I can shut the skimmer off while the pump is working, allowing you to clean the grate below the skimmer basket, in case a large leaf plugs it up.

For the way it is set up now, you'll have to open the valve completely at the tee becasue the intex pool only has a valve at the Tee. This is why I plumbed mine with a valve at each of the two supply's. Make sure the valve is open all of the way. You might place your hand over the non-skimmer supply to see if it makes the skimmer basket function better. I have to close off my non-skimmer valve about 60-70% to get the basket to work adequately. When running, can you see water moving through the pump basket that is located right in front of the pump?

I thought I was getting one of the older pools also until we got it home.

The dual is better, once I got it arranged the way I wanted it. With my setup I can shut the skimmer off while the pump is working, allowing you to clean the grate below the skimmer basket, in case a large leaf plugs it up.
No that side on my pool does close. It closes at the t and at the return. I can close the return some and see if that works.

closing the valve at the supply tee (on your tub and red stone) will cut the water off from both supplys at the same time and won't help your skimmer work. Keep that tee valve open, as well as any valve in the system. Then place your hand over the the other supply/suction port to force the water through the basket. It should work better then.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the pumps rated for. How many gallons per hour (gpm)?

I just went out to look at my pool. You might pinch to hose to restrict flow or put a platic bag in front of the supply without the skimmer. the supply fitting is somewhat large for the average size persons hand to cover up.

Dam I thought my pool was unlevel!! How's that working for you? I just filled my poOL 18x 52 and kind of unlevel.

So you mean slightly shut the return valve?

Yah I put the skimmer in one of the 2 intakes last night and it did nothing.

Sorry about all the questions I'm just trying to make sure I understand. When I ordered this I thought I was getting one of the older pools with just the usual 2 holes to connect pump. When we were setting up and I saw 3 I was like ...uh.. So.

I also don't like the setup. The valve for the 2 hangs down. I put a container with bricks to keep it from hanging. They need to make 2 separate valves for each suction,/intake.
792b15b0b454b79982dbb66bf685c7ca.jpg

Dam I thought my pool was unlevel!! How's that working for you? I just filled my poOL 18x 52 and kind of unlevel.
It's been up sense may 29th. And I know its unlevel but because where we live is rental property I can't really do anything the ground to level it how it should be.

It doesn't appear to be getting any worse. We're just keeping an eye on things. All you can do.

Very nice setup. Did you put any support for the pvc pipes below like some bricks or is it just coming off straight from the pump and hanging in the air. How does it support the weight? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.