ladder mat won't stay under ladder

Zindar

Jun 4, 2011
Austin, Texas
Hello, I recently replaced my stair steps that I used to have for entry into my above ground pool, with a cheap plastic deck ladder. It came with an optional small rectangular vinyl mat, but I read that people recommended that mat as extra protection for the pool liner, so that the ladder doesn't damage the pool liner.

I put that rectangular piece of vinyl under the ladder, but it sometimes comes loose. Water currents created by swimmers is enough to do it, and also my Wanda the Whale automatic vacuum will start dragging it around the pool with it, as its suction is enough to make the mat stick to it.

It's possible that maybe this is happening, because I didn't follow manufacture instructions, which said to fill the ladder with sand. I read in the reviews that some people just fill it with pool water, and that appealed to me, in case I ever get sand leakage.

By chance, do people here think that sand would be dense and heavy enough to provide enough weight on that mat to keep it where it is? To me, it's not enough that the sand be heavy - it has to be denser than water (which I'm sure it is). Put another way, the weight of the sand minus the weight of the water displaced would become the net weight pressing down on the vinyl (so less than the weight of the sand), and I'm just wondering if it would be enough to hold it there.

I have had two mats for this pool and haven't really used either of them, doubt I ever will. Way back in the old days, I had a Sears "good" pool (as opposed to Better and Best) that came with a painted metal later that had a wood base step you bolted to the bottom. Of course that thing rusted out and the wood kind of splintered. after a few years it mad one small hole that was easily patched. I went through two of those ladders before finding out about a new invention - plastic ladders. so I had a plastic ladder for the remaining life of that pool. I never had any other problems with the bottom. and that was a pool set on badly screened dirt/sand on top of concrete.

I got one to go under the included ladder but like you the first one wouldn't stay put (and it was too small) so I ordered another larger one when I got my stairs. meh, still haven't taken it out of the box. I figure after a year and a half the bottom is fine and no algae is going to get started under that mat if it isn't there.

I think I even posted a poll about it here.

yep found it - Ladder/Stair Pads - do you use one?

Is is similar to a welcome mat? My husband had some heavy vinyl he got when our pool was installed 10 years ago. Just had a new liner installed today and he wanted to use the pool patch glue to glue it to the new liner under the heavy vinyl I don't want him to glue anything to the new liner. Looking for an alternate solution. Thank you.

I have had two mats for this pool and haven't really used either of them, doubt I ever will. Way back in the old days, I had a Sears "good" pool (as opposed to Better and Best) that came with a painted metal later that had a wood base step you bolted to the bottom. Of course that thing rusted out and the wood kind of splintered. after a few years it mad one small hole that was easily patched. I went through two of those ladders before finding out about a new invention - plastic ladders. so I had a plastic ladder for the remaining life of that pool. I never had any other problems with the bottom. and that was a pool set on badly screened dirt/sand on top of concrete.

I got one to go under the included ladder but like you the first one wouldn't stay put (and it was too small) so I ordered another larger one when I got my stairs. meh, still haven't taken it out of the box. I figure after a year and a half the bottom is fine and no algae is going to get started under that mat if it isn't there.

I think I even posted a poll about it here.

yep found it - Ladder/Stair Pads - do you use one?

Good, Better, and Best. I cannot stop laughing to read the rest of the reply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.