Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ladder mat won't stay under ladder

1. Back To Top    #1

ladder mat won't stay under ladder

Hello, I recently replaced my stair steps that I used to have for entry into my above ground pool, with a cheap plastic deck ladder. It came with an optional small rectangular vinyl mat, but I read that people recommended that mat as extra protection for the pool liner, so that the ladder doesn't damage the pool liner.

I put that rectangular piece of vinyl under the ladder, but it sometimes comes loose. Water currents created by swimmers is enough to do it, and also my Wanda the Whale automatic vacuum will start dragging it around the pool with it, as its suction is enough to make the mat stick to it.

It's possible that maybe this is happening, because I didn't follow manufacture instructions, which said to fill the ladder with sand. I read in the reviews that some people just fill it with pool water, and that appealed to me, in case I ever get sand leakage.

By chance, do people here think that sand would be dense and heavy enough to provide enough weight on that mat to keep it where it is? To me, it's not enough that the sand be heavy - it has to be denser than water (which I'm sure it is). Put another way, the weight of the sand minus the weight of the water displaced would become the net weight pressing down on the vinyl (so less than the weight of the sand), and I'm just wondering if it would be enough to hold it there.
    18 foot diameter, 52" tall above ground Cornelius pool, with vinyl liner, and resin wall caps.
    Roughly 7600 gallons
    Blue Wave "Sandman" Sand filter/pump, model NE6150. Pump is 1 HP
    Intex SWG, model # 54601E

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ladder mat won't stay under ladder

I have had two mats for this pool and haven't really used either of them, doubt I ever will. Way back in the old days, I had a Sears "good" pool (as opposed to Better and Best) that came with a painted metal later that had a wood base step you bolted to the bottom. Of course that thing rusted out and the wood kind of splintered. after a few years it mad one small hole that was easily patched. I went through two of those ladders before finding out about a new invention - plastic ladders. so I had a plastic ladder for the remaining life of that pool. I never had any other problems with the bottom. and that was a pool set on badly screened dirt/sand on top of concrete.

I got one to go under the included ladder but like you the first one wouldn't stay put (and it was too small) so I ordered another larger one when I got my stairs. meh, still haven't taken it out of the box. I figure after a year and a half the bottom is fine and no algae is going to get started under that mat if it isn't there.

I think I even posted a poll about it here.

yep found it - Ladder/Stair Pads - do you use one?
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a rubber workplace mat, black, about 3/8" thick. Only cost me $10 at local home improvement store. Works great, does not rub off or get black marks on liner.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

4. Back To Top    #4

How does it stay in place?
    Last edited by Cindy Cutts; 06-13-2015 at 03:06 PM. Reason: I want to add something
    Cindy Cutts
    Darien, WI

Aqualeader Escape 30 ft non typical round J hook liner

5. Back To Top    #5

Is is similar to a welcome mat? My husband had some heavy vinyl he got when our pool was installed 10 years ago. Just had a new liner installed today and he wanted to use the pool patch glue to glue it to the new liner under the heavy vinyl I don't want him to glue anything to the new liner. Looking for an alternate solution. Thank you.
    Cindy Cutts
    Darien, WI

Aqualeader Escape 30 ft non typical round J hook liner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Cutts View Post
    How does it stay in place?
    Just the weight of it holds, the ladder sits on it as well.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

7. Back To Top    #7

I had the same issue with my ladder mat.
    I took 4 #12 stainless screws and screwed them 80% the way in the PVC ladder.
    I then took some nylon string and tied to the screws and ran it thru the mat.
    Works like a charm. No more movement
    24' X 52" AG - vinyl - Install 6/10/15 - 14,650 Gal.
    Hayward Pro Series 16In. Sand Filter Sys. 100lbs. sand
    1HP single speed motor
    Tester - Taylor K2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Several nice ideas in this thread. Thank you for these ideas.
    18 foot diameter, 52" tall above ground Cornelius pool, with vinyl liner, and resin wall caps.
    Roughly 7600 gallons
    Blue Wave "Sandman" Sand filter/pump, model NE6150. Pump is 1 HP
    Intex SWG, model # 54601E

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Pv2 View Post
    I have had two mats for this pool and haven't really used either of them, doubt I ever will. Way back in the old days, I had a Sears "good" pool (as opposed to Better and Best) that came with a painted metal later that had a wood base step you bolted to the bottom. Of course that thing rusted out and the wood kind of splintered. after a few years it mad one small hole that was easily patched. I went through two of those ladders before finding out about a new invention - plastic ladders. so I had a plastic ladder for the remaining life of that pool. I never had any other problems with the bottom. and that was a pool set on badly screened dirt/sand on top of concrete.

I got one to go under the included ladder but like you the first one wouldn't stay put (and it was too small) so I ordered another larger one when I got my stairs. meh, still haven't taken it out of the box. I figure after a year and a half the bottom is fine and no algae is going to get started under that mat if it isn't there.

I think I even posted a poll about it here.

yep found it - Ladder/Stair Pads - do you use one?
    Good, Better, and Best. I cannot stop laughing to read the rest of the reply.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).