New Member-Cloudy pool

Jun 6, 2015
Guilford/CT
Hi

Just joined today. I had my pool opened a coupld of weeks ago. It was very dirty and the pool store vacuumed it a couple of times. It is still cloudy. Total Chlorine 3.5, Alkalinity 68, PH 7.5 and CYA 0. Per stores suggestion just added 1 bottle power floc to the skimmer and have the pool on recirculate. They suggested turning the pump off in 2 hrs for 12-24 hrs and then vacuuming to waste. I am skeptical that this will work. Any ideas ?

Thanks

You should be skeptical. Floc seldom works, and usually clouds the water more. But, that gets you back into th store to buy more overpriced "stuff".

You need to get your own test kit and take control of your pool. I would recomend a TF100. TFTestkits.net

I find,it hard to believe your chlorine was 3.5 with no CYA in the water. Without CYA a few hours of sun will consume all of the chlorine in a pool.

edithus, glad to have you at TFP! :) Along with Tim's note above, also consider reading-up on the vital links you see below in my signature. Since your pool is cloudy, give extra attention to the SLAM and Chlorine/CYA Chart links. You will be referring to those a lot when you get your own kit. Make sure to ask for the speed stir and XL size! Again .... welcome!

Welcome to TFP!

You won't regret the test kit, I frankly love mine. Like your signature says, it is typical of most pool owners to have difficulty maintaining a sorta-not-too-cloudy pool. It was a cloudy pool that brought me to this site all those years ago. Once I followed the SLAM procedures though I got things clear and it has been mostly smooth sailing since then. Learning about the TFPC methods and getting a proper test kit really changes how you look at pools. I honestly didn't know what truly clear water looked like before...

It may seem a tad intimidating at first, but lean on us for any questions and help. After you do it for a few weeks it will seem easy. After a couple months you will wonder how you ever lived with the pool store way of management.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.