Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Member-Cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Member-Cloudy pool

Hi

Just joined today. I had my pool opened a coupld of weeks ago. It was very dirty and the pool store vacuumed it a couple of times. It is still cloudy. Total Chlorine 3.5, Alkalinity 68, PH 7.5 and CYA 0. Per stores suggestion just added 1 bottle power floc to the skimmer and have the pool on recirculate. They suggested turning the pump off in 2 hrs for 12-24 hrs and then vacuuming to waste. I am skeptical that this will work. Any ideas ?

Thanks
    I have a 25,000 gallon inground plaster pool with a sand filter. I am having a lot of trouble with cloudiness. I also noticed a small leak in the PVC plumbing at a joint. The pool is difficult to take care off and rarely clear

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Member-Cloudy pool

You should be skeptical. Floc seldom works, and usually clouds the water more. But, that gets you back into th store to buy more overpriced "stuff".

You need to get your own test kit and take control of your pool. I would recomend a TF100. TFTestkits.net

I find,it hard to believe your chlorine was 3.5 with no CYA in the water. Without CYA a few hours of sun will consume all of the chlorine in a pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

edithus, glad to have you at TFP! Along with Tim's note above, also consider reading-up on the vital links you see below in my signature. Since your pool is cloudy, give extra attention to the SLAM and Chlorine/CYA Chart links. You will be referring to those a lot when you get your own kit. Make sure to ask for the speed stir and XL size! Again .... welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just ordered the kit and stirrer. Thanks for the suggestion
    I have a 25,000 gallon inground plaster pool with a sand filter. I am having a lot of trouble with cloudiness. I also noticed a small leak in the PVC plumbing at a joint. The pool is difficult to take care off and rarely clear

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

You won't regret the test kit, I frankly love mine. Like your signature says, it is typical of most pool owners to have difficulty maintaining a sorta-not-too-cloudy pool. It was a cloudy pool that brought me to this site all those years ago. Once I followed the SLAM procedures though I got things clear and it has been mostly smooth sailing since then. Learning about the TFPC methods and getting a proper test kit really changes how you look at pools. I honestly didn't know what truly clear water looked like before...

It may seem a tad intimidating at first, but lean on us for any questions and help. After you do it for a few weeks it will seem easy. After a couple months you will wonder how you ever lived with the pool store way of management.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits