Keep existing spa or start fresh?

Sep 19, 2014
Dove Canyon, CA
Hi there,

I've been checking out a lot of your posts lately, to try to get ideas and advice, and now I thought I'd post our dilemma.

The last house we lived in FL had a pool already built in, with spa. My husband used the pool the most. He loved being able to lounge around in the pool with a beer, watching the ball games on the weekend, as we had a large covered area where the dining area, ceiling fan, grill and outdoor tv were. We really did not use the spa at all, but then again it was not heated. Yes, you heard that right. The buyer who flipped the house to us cut corners as much as possible, and decided not to heat the pool. Not such a big deal since we had a jacuzzi tub in our bath.

The house we bought in Orange County, CA has an existing faux rock waterfall spa. The planters near the spa have small faux rock walls, and the grill area is also faux rock. My husband misses the ability to watch his tv outside and lounge in the pool. So far we have used the spa to dip our feet in, and not much more. There is only a small Lowes type cabana the sellers left us, and the wind/snowstorm Dec 30th ruined the cover, which is fine because we can't really put a tv under it and were planning on getting rid of the cabana.

We want to put in a pool with covered patio area (with ceiling fan, heaters, speakers) and I've always wanted a fire pit, although with the drought here I'm a little nervous about that. So far we are still allowed to put pools in, but who knows when our water district will put restrictions on pool filling.

We had a few PBs come in for some quotes, and we told them we were open to suggestions to whether to incorporate the existing spa and rock work, or scrap it and start with a clean slate. Some companies quoted us with a whole new design, some incorporated the existing spa. Most of me would love to start anew, as I tend to like a look with travertine and ledger stone/stacked stone, and I don't know how well it would look with the faux rock we have. However, the cost-saving side of me wants to not go crazy with this, and keep the spa, just redoing the pebble to match the rest of the pool (I hate the color that it is now) and redo the rock (paint or whatever to make it look less like the Flintstones.) I have been told it would be a huge undertaking to excavate the spa and the rock walls. We are not looking for a deep pool, either a play pool or at most 6' deep. It's just the two of us, no kids.

I thought I would post some pics of what our backyard looks like now, and see if I could get some opinions. (My husband does not seem to care either way, and although this would be mostly for him, he wants as little to do with this as possible, since he has no patience. I on the other hand do not want to throw away $100k-$150k on something I"m going to look at and regret. All he cares about is the final cost.)

Oh, the garden hose is me trying to map out where one of the pools was proposed, coming off the spa. Some of these photos were from the original for sale listing over 2 years ago. We got rid of the green awnings, and the cabana fabric is torn into pieces.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Cindy

Hi Cindy! Opinions I've got - but not a lot of knowledge or experience. I'm sure some others will be along soon to give wiser suggestions and opinions.

I'll take a stab at it.... Do you guys have any idea how long you might live in this house? That would make a big difference in my decision process. Also, my budget would play a big part. And with the spa heated, do you think ya'll would enjoy it?

1. If it were in my budget and I planned to live there 10 plus years, I would start all new. I also like the travertine and ledger stone look.

2. If budget were a little more of a consideration, then I would do the pool as wanted and remodel the spa to match the pool (like you mentioned).

3. If you're fairly certain you wouldn't enjoy the spa, would it be possible to convert it to a sunken fire pit - maybe not as deep as the spa? That might be interesting.

4. The one thing that seems certain.... You guys need to go forward with building a pool since your husband misses it (might help bring about more patience!).

5. Some options regarding the spa could wait until later for a decision.

6. If chances were high I'd be moving in five or fewer years (and I didn't have money to burn), then I'd do the least expensive plan possible - which probably would be the pool only.

Well, that's all I have for now! Keep us posted on your thoughts and plans! And I love your photos! Super helpful. Take care. Suz.

Thanks, Suz! You made a good point about how long we'd live in the house. The most we have been in any of our houses have been 7-8 years, and of course the last house we lived at in FL I vowed I would never, ever move again. And here we are in CA, due to my husband's job relocation. We've both been saying how much we really love the weather out here, especially compared to where we were in FL or NJ. So maybe we'll be here longer than our average. As far as I'm concerned I am never moving!

I love your idea about the sunken fire pit! That is something that none of the PBs have recommended. I'm going to search around and see what that might entail.

And yes, I'm sure once my husband is lounging around the pool he will be a lot less stressed.

I have actually been going around to some open houses in my area if the house has a pool so I can soak in what it may look like in our backyard. I keep staring out there, trying to visualize everything.

Maybe if I wasn't so darn picky....I am so paranoid about doing something that I might not be totally sure on, and having a big reminder of it every day. Last year we replaced our kitchen cabinets and put in a new backsplash and granite. Changed a few cabinets to drawers, moved the location of the trash bin, nothing major like redoing everything. But I look at our kitchen and smile every day, as I am really happy with what we did. That's the kind of feeling I want to have with the pool. Although I'm told that having the rocks repainted and a nice color pebble in there will make it look SO much better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.