Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can Dirty DE Filter Cause Filter Element or Pump Damage?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can Dirty DE Filter Cause Filter Element or Pump Damage?

New to pools. Filter pressure has gone from 16 to 21 in one day after SLAMing. I'm worried that this dirty filter will ruin the Pentair 2000 DE filter elements or the pump due to the load. I am still moving out of my old house, so I can't do anything about this for another day or two.

Let me know if I should turn the pump off.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can Dirty DE Filter Cause Filter Element or Pump Damage?

It's unlikely the pump can generate enough pressure to crush the grids. What the filter really wants is a backwash. If you have no time, you have no time. If you have a multiport valve, set it to recirculate. If you don't, you might as well shut the thing off. You probably have lousy circulation right now anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Can Dirty DE Filter Cause Filter Element or Pump Damage?

Thanks, Richard.

I've noticed the circulation is way down. Hopefully, tomorrow I can do my first backwash.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.